1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun didn't fire

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by The Lady Shoots Trap, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Lady Shoots Trap

The Lady Shoots Trap TS Member

May 23, 2009
    Gun didn

The gun I use has an o/u and has been working fine.
    This last time, I purchased shells at a club.
    Everything was fine when suddenly I pulled the trigger, heard the click but it didn't shoot.
    I tried again and it was ok.
    But then it happened twice more.

I changed to the other barrel, it shot fine.

Researching mechanics, it seems like the answer could be:
    A broken firing pin? Bad shells from the club - how I can I tell re-loads from new?

The gun has been well cared for.
  2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Nashville Tn
    Dear Lady

What type of gun do you have? Did other ammo you used work okay? Was the ammo you bought at the club different than what you have been using? What type of ammo worked, and what kind of ammo gave problems?

Inquiring minds want to know! :^)
  3. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Jan 29, 1998
    chinese springs
  4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Problem is probably a combination of things. Since the shells worked in one barrel and not the other it could be a headspace problem. Which in simple terms means the shell when chambered is not being held close enough to the firing pin for good ignition.

Reloads look used and new shells look new. Better yet ask the people you bought the shells from weather they are reloads or new shells. HMB
  5. BWPBeretta

BWPBeretta TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    It is more likely a firing spring that is on the verge of breaking or is broke. It will drive you crazy. Simple fix though. The other thing is that if you change barrels and the other works it can be I believe a transfer spring which is part of the lock mechanism. I had a Beretta that one day while shooting I could not move the locking lever. I was shooting a top single barrel. Took the gun home and took stock off. Got the lever over and everything worked fine. Shoot about 500 singles over several weeks. When I went to shot doubles expieienced your problem. I selected the other barrel and gun fired but trigger would not set for second shot. Took the gun to Beretta and it was a spring. Job took 10 minutes. Hope this helps.
  6. drh08

drh08 TS Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Not a lot to go on so going to make some assumption.

1. You are shooting a browning which seem to have more issues with the bottom barrel.

2. You were shooting gun club shells. There was a batch produced that seems to have the primer pocket set deep which would magnify the 1st statement.

I have cases of gun clubs that are set deep and the firing pin doesn't strike very hard. You would also see a light strike on the top barrel however.

If these assumptions are false the others have you covered.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.