1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Control?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shot410ga, Nov 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

A Gun in the House

The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.
    1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

2. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

3. I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

4. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

5. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him 'Why do you carry a 45?' The Ranger responded, 'Because they don't make a 46.'

6. An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

7. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?'
    'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

8. Beware the man who only has one gun. HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

But wait, there's more!

I was once asked by a lady visiting if I had a gun in the house. I said I did.

She said 'Well I certainly hope it isn't loaded!'

To which I said, of course it is loaded, can't work without bullets!'

She then asked, 'Are you that afraid of some one evil coming into your house?'
    My reply was, 'No not at all. I am not afraid of the house catching fire either, but I have fire extinguishers around, and they are all loaded too.'

To which I'll add, having a gun in the house that isn't loaded is like having a car in the garage without gas in the tank.

I'm a firm believer of the 2nd Amendment!

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Before retirement I taught tactical firearms and chemical agent training. One of our sayings, was; "They don't pay me to fight fair. They pay me to win." That being said we need to also use "proper terms"; especially when testifying or writing reports. (And believe me if one ever uses deadly force; you will be faced with these issues). You NEVER shoot to kill. You shoot to stop the threat. Our "rule of thumb", was that when faced with a deadly force decision and the threat was within 10 feet, you shot for the face. (Central Nervous system). When faced with a threat of longer distances you concentrated on center mass. Now if you shot someone in the face with a 12 gauge shotgun, would that be shooting to kill? Of course, but you don't say that. You just "stopped the threat" as you were trained. Don't give the liberals more ammunition in making you the bad guy. Remember the old saying in the film "Roadhouse"? "You have to be nice, until it's time not to be nice and then you have to be nice again". This was a variation of the original comment; but it rings true. Ed

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

A question from my past career:

Question: Trooper Jones....how much force did you use to arrest my client?

Answer: Sir, I used only enough to effect the arrest, no less, no more.

By Delaware state law as it is written....once a person uses "Deadly Force", that person then becomes the "Defendant" as per the law wording. Once a defendant, a person should never speak to law enforcement personnel w/o his/her attorney present!

Remember: When accused of something, the rule of thumb is: Deny, Deny, Deny....and then counter accuse!

Curt

4. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

One of my favorites.

5. shot410ga

From experance: He that shoot's first is usually the winner. I loved the part that says. Don't mess with an old guy; If he can't whip you, he'll most likely kill you. Goes without saying, if your an old guy carry an equalizer. I prefer the 45, but carry a 32 auto.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Reminds me of the title of Bill Jordan's book, "No Second Place Winner".<br>
    <br>
    As far as "shooting first", you mean like the old gunfight where the bandits are sending bullets flying past the old sheriff, while he calmly aims and drops them one at a time with his revolver? It doesn't do any good to shoot first and miss. You must hit your target. A slow hit is always better than a fast miss.

7. KenC

KenC Member

Sportshot, who are "They"? The police use hollow points; that's good enough for me. Oh, and it's +P+.

Just don't use 10mm. in Arizona.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    "Just don't use 10mm. in Arizona."<br>
    <br>
    Why?

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I don't understand that one either. Is 40 Smoth the same?

Elucidate, plz.

HM

10. KenC

KenC Member

A retired teacher there was convicted of 2nd degree murder...see story...

http://www.kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=5034336&nav=menu216_2

I can't find the original article I read about this but one of the things the DA was able to do was convince the jury that the 10mm was much more fire-power than the situation called for.

Also, the judge would NOT allow the testimony of several witnesses who knew the deceased to be a violent person.

It was a real rail-roading.

11. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I was told to use hollow points so the round does not go through the attacker and into someone else. My XD9sc has Gold Dot JHP in it for such an occasion. 16+1 in case they have friends, with another backup clip. You gotta love the XD Gear.

I was also told to never refer to my gun as a weapon but a firearm. The term weapon sounds too violent in this politically correct society.

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/Guns/?action=view&current=HPIM1606Large.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jerbear

12. KenC

KenC Member

Sportshot, how does having hollow points "Show premeditation"?

A huge percentage of our nation's Law Enforcement Agencies use Jacketed Hollow Points e.g. Federal Hydra-Shoks, Remington Golden Sabres. Exactly what are they "premeditating"?

Now, what you DON'T want to do is load your own self defense ammo. You certainly don't want the DA/Plaintiff's attorney asking:

"So Mr. Sportshot, you made this ammunition yourself because you wanted to make sure the deceased/my client was good and dead, didn't you?"

You also don't want to be in the position of manufacturing the evidence that will be used against you. The veracity of your reloading notes would probably be laughed at by the entire courtroom.

13. shot410ga

Sportshot: Yes.........

14. shadow

shadow Active Member

So, it is OK to shoot an intruder with new AAs' but not my weiner 1oz loads?

7 1/2s' or 8s'?

15. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Sportshot: You are missing the point. Shooting " to stop the threat" is what we call "court speak". As stated, if an intruder that is 10' (approximately) or less from you we taught to focus on the face as our target. Why? To stop the threat. That distance was justified as you needed to shut down the central nervous system to effectively stop the threat. At a further distance, center mass was taught due the head being a very small target and the need to shut down the central nervous system is somewhat lessened at longer ranges. That being said; when faced with a threat in my living room, my target acquisition would surely not be the "hip". However, given the circumstances, I would agree with Brian in Oregon; a good solid hip shot beats missing my target any day. Especially when using my favorite home defense weapon. (A 12 gauge short barreled pump action shotgun using my handicap 7 1/2 loads). Factory loads of course. As far as people losing law suits in the court system; much of the cause could be inaccurate, incomplete, and crude report writing and court testimony. Again, this day and age you need to utilize "court speak" when using any type of force against someone. i.e. if you have to use physical force against someone, your report would include "directing the subject to the ground"; NOT "body slamming the SOB onto the concrete. That may be what you did, but it's not the way you report it! Get the idea? Thanks. Ed

16. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Damn, and all this time I thought gun control was using both Hands!

ec90t

17. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

Good thread. You always shoot to stop the agression. Your terminology can get you convicted of a crime you did not commit. It doesn't matter why the person was in your home or the safety of your children. My advice is never talk about the incident until you have had a chance to talk to an attorney. Preferably you already have a name and phone number. It's true that every bullet you fire will have an attorney attached to it. Be care as to how you phrase anything. You must be in fear of your life. If you are extremely worried about a shooting happening, talk to your attorney NOW. I could go on for pages, but I'll stop here. Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.