1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GUN CONTROL

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dkdevries, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkdevries

dkdevries TS Member

Jeff,

Your point is well presented and well taken. It is obvious to me that there should be no more fundamental right that that of self-defense and necessary to that right are the tools of self-defense. But to some people (many people?) guns in the hands of the general public are a threat so they are willing to deprive themselves and the rest of us of these tools, instead leaving our defense to the police.

If I wanted to convince somebody who doesn't own and use guns that guns in the hands of the general public are a danger, I would just invite them to browse through this site. There are numerous posts touting the joys of vaporizing the neighbor's cat, the squirrels in the back yard, the pigeons living beneath the overpass or whatever other living creature that may be available as a target. My personal favorites are the ones who post things like: "Happiness is having Hillary [or whoever else has opinions I don't like] in my crosshairs."

These macho types who think that what's in their holster compensates for what isn't in their pants posting on this site are doing a lot to convince anybody who isn't a gun owner/user that we're all jerks.

I would ask those guys, as a favor to all of us, to think and not be so quick on the keyboard.

Doug DeVries

2. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Great point Doug DeVries!!

Rich. (inPeoria,Az.)

3. thedemoguy

thedemoguy TS Member

In 1943 a man said turn in your guns or go to jail, who said that ?

Bill

4. smartass

smartass TS Member

Doug, with all due respect, who are you to be so free with the advice? You seem to think that gun banners give a damn what you or I say. They don't- all they want to do is steal freedom from everybody but their fellow liberals.

Frankly, I don't much care if you like hunting or not and I don't need you to tell me what to do or say.

5. larryjk

larryjk Member

Doug, You are right on target. Some "anonymous" commentors hide behind that name because they may be ones who have made many of the childish comments you reference. He will come back with more venom, but you are absolutely correct.
    Those childish remarks keep the "afraid of the dark" gungrabbers stirred up.

6. larryjk

larryjk Member

Doug, You are right on target. Some "anonymous" commentors hide behind that name because they may be ones who have made many of the childish comments you reference. He will come back with more venom, but you are absolutely correct.
    Those childish remarks keep the "afraid of the dark" gungrabbers stirred up.

7. dkdevries

dkdevries TS Member

Anonymous,

I have been a hunter all my life because I believe it to be honorable and a skill that has served to provide food and protection to crops and livestock for as long as people have made a living off the land. I have not been a hunter because I take pleasure in killing and I don't understand those who do. My satisfaction comes from succeeding in besting the quarry in a fair chase and making a clean kill and respecting the traditions of sportsmanship.

As far as trying to tell you what to do or say, I have no right to do that. I only remind you that what you do and say has consequences...not just for you, but for the group with which you may be associated.

Doug DeVries

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Doug, I don't kill kittens or do some of the stuff posted here.<br>
    <br.
    But I can tell you as a varmint and predator hunter that those sports are just as bad in the eyes of the timid mice, bunny huggers and the sheeple as the things you cite. I've had hunters tell me that I should not post varmint trip stories, while they post what I suppose is politically correct deer hunting stories. Classic Fuddism.<br>
    <br>
    I will not self-censor myself to appease the unappeasable.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    "In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated."<br>
    <br>
    My wife's grandparents were middle class landowners (farmers) in the Ukraines. They went on vacation to visit relatives in Canada. When they went back, they were met at the dock by friends who, at great risk, told them their land had been seized by the state and the Red Guards had death warrants for them. They got back on the ship, and went back to Canada, later emigrating to America. My wife still has the steamer trunk they came over with.<br>
    <br>
    Within a couple of years, Stalin started his great starvation of the Ukraines. Estimates are that he murdered and starved to death more victims than the jews and other "undesirables" that Hitler murdered. Stalin made Hitler look like an amateur.<br>
    <br>
    The key to all this is that the communists disarmed everyone. No one could resist. Never let your arms be taken away. By anyone.

10. Doctor_Chicago

Doctor_Chicago Member

It takes a long time to understand history and the mistakes of repeating it.

11. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Doug DeVries, you are a very respectable man. Your posts were good ones, IMHO.

12. JDinTX

JDinTX Member

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always posess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    Richard Lee Henry, 1787 JD

13. vanman

vanman TS Member

Hi Doug,

I agree with your comment and I also find it interesting when some mesh the right to posses ( to have ) and the right to carry ( conseal ) or the right to protect yourself and the protection of others. I'll even add the meshing of protecting person(s) vs. property. But it has made for some interesting reading from time to time.

Van Rader

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.