1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Control Now NDAA

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by otnot, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otnot

otnot Active Member

I looks like Mccain stripped the only language that protected our civil rights from the NDAA final draft.

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Sen. Rand Paul issued the following statement regarding the newly released National Defense Authorization Act for 2013 (NDAA) conference report.

The amendment, introduced by Sens. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) and Mike Lee (R-Utah) and which passed with a 67-29 vote on Nov. 29, was designed to guarantee Americans the right to due process and a jury trial. These are basic and core American legal privileges prescribed in our Bill of Rights, which have been observed since our nation’s founding. Removing these indefinite detention protections now means that the NDAA is in violation of the Fourth and Fifth Amendments of the Constitution.

“The decision by the NDAA conference committee, led by Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) to strip the National Defense Authorization Act of the amendment that protects American citizens against indefinite detention now renders the entire NDAA unconstitutional,” Sen. Paul said.

“I voted against NDAA in 2011 because it did not contain the proper constitutional protections. When my Senate colleagues voted to include those protections in the 2012 NDAA through the Feinstein-Lee Amendment last month, I supported this act,” Sen. Paul continued. “But removing those protections now takes us back to square one and does as much violence to the Constitution as last year’s NDAA. When the government can arrest suspects without a warrant, hold them without trial, deny them access to counsel or admission of bail, we have shorn the Bill of Rights of its sanctity.

“Saying that new language somehow ensures the right to habeas corpus – the right to be presented before a judge – is both questionable and not enough. Citizens must not only be formally charged but also receive jury trials and the other protections our Constitution guarantees. Habeas corpus is simply the beginning of due process. It is by no means the whole.

“Our Bill of Rights is not something that can be cherry-picked at legislators’ convenience. When I entered the United States Senate, I took an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution. It is for this reason that I will strongly oppose passage of the McCain conference report that strips the guarantee to a trial by jury.”

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
  3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

He's really upholding his oath

But another way to look at it maybe his did it so when the lawsuit gets to the SCOTUS it will be tossed because of it's unconstitutionality

But I doubt it he is almost as bad as the clown in the oval office now

But I was able to get though to his voice mail and left a message about my thoughts about it, and yes I was very civil

4. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

No law passed by congress can replace Constitutional Law.

5. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Vetted by the RNC to be presidential candidate???

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The tea party lost the last election for the Republican party- driving away moderates

The comments above, and linking stuff together , which portrays an inaccurate picture are examples why.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

Imagine how many people the Tea Party could attract to the Republican Party with a proposal for forced Military service.

Sigh...these extremists just don't understand people very well, do they?

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Enough gun owning and responsible conservative citizens sat out or otherwise boycotted this last election to put whoever we wanted in office as an indepependent. Too many people sat at home and did nothing. Too many people riding this boat, not enough people rowing. By the way, the waves are tossing this boat into the rocks, enjoy the ride!

9. otnot

otnot Active Member

Just so you know it passed the senate 84-14 yesterday. Now it goes to Obummer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.