1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Control is not the primary threat to the sport

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrskeet410, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

We're looking the wrong direction. The real threat to the sport is the threat to our ammunition, specifically lead shot ammo. There is a solution to that, but it won't be used until it's too late.

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

What is that solution? Jackie B.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Put up a shot curtain, catch the shot and reuse it. That's what they do in Italy, with a 96% success rate. HMB

4. dhip

dhip Active Member

I agree,sort of..But ,still from what I've seen in just the year I've been shooting trap,is ,,,lack of interest.I was introduced to it last October,believe it or not,I'm one of the youngsters at 59..That's disturbing.Now the Trap captain of the club has resigned.NO ONE is stepping up to take over.Some skeet fella's snicker in the background figuring trap will just go away.Problem is from what I've heard,trap is what monetarily supports the club.The other disciplines,sporting clays and skeet don't bring in enough to keep the club open.You can almost hear the collective breath holding,,waiting to see whats going to happen.Just my Luck,,I join something,get interested in it,and a year later,it may become defunct,dead,,over.I wish there was someway of having a Revival like churches do to get the energy,and driving spirit back into what I perceive to of been a very vibrant spot at one time.I guess being 99% of the club are retirees or old enough to be is the problem,NO ONE wants to commit to the time needed,because time is donation,given freely,,NO pay...

Doug H.

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Or it could be the CGs.

And I don't mean Ceasar Guerinis.

-Gary

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The real threat to trapshooting comes from gunowners not supporting other gunowners, allowing the anti's to cull the herd at will.

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: NO ONE is stepping up to take over

Maybe time to get your feet wet!

8. Clay Gauge

Clay Gauge Member

First Things First....Trap shooting must be affordable for younger shooters to participate! Once that happens I think you will see much more interest young and old!

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned

Trapshooting has always been affordable for younger people-as long as Daddy foots the tab!!

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I didn't start shooting trap till I was 34.

Couldn't afford it, and didn't have time much before that. So, I don't think kids are the answer. It helps, but face it, they are going to leave the game at some point as they get a driver's license, chase the opposite sex, raise a family, and later...hopefully afford the sport. With $40 shot, $4 gas, and higher taxes, good luck.

A lot of people don't even know trap shooting exist.....Thats a problem!

11. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

You have to have the youth if trap is going to continue. It has gotten very expensive to shoot alot of trap, I only shoot once a week and its getting to be more then I can justify doing.

Another problem not being addressed is the eco-freaks and their lying about the use and handling of lead!!(its in our school system already) When was the last time you told someone to take a long walk off a short pier when they made a remark about the dangers of lead?

When I became certified by 4H to instruct in rifle training, We were told we had to warn kids about the danger of handling lead pellets during indoor air rifle pratice. Also we needed to inform the parents and students about breathing the "dust" from shooting lead pellets indoors,"it might kill you".

IT's a tough fight in the battle over ignorance!

You take lead out of the sport, it will disappear!

12. crusha

crusha TS Member

Ammo is the weak link. Always has been.

The liberals are enraged - ENRAGED - that the Supreme Court made the decision it did on gun ownership. They are so absolutely mad they could spit. You mark my words, ammunition is the next target. On environmental grounds, safety, whatever...they will make it so expensive nobody can shoot.

A bunch of well-meaning "pillars of the community" will get on here and wring their hands about "how to get kids involved"...but once those kids get older and become typical strapped-to-the-hilt, in-debt-to-their-eyeballs Americans - finances will take them out of the game, period.

13. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Wow---Thihk I better sell all my guns-------SJB---

14. dhip

dhip Active Member

Joe P.,,If you read my post,I've only been shooting a year,doubt very much the charter members would want a newby running things.Haven't even learned how to load the traps yet,let alone what to do if there's a problem with one.I believe it should be in the hand of the experienced.Oh.and don't forget they have suspitions about who handles the money coming in,,trust has to be earned.

Doug H.

15. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I'm not aware of shot curtains working in the USA. They aren't very durable. Wind is the big culprit. The handful of clubs in Italy are using a cover over a berm. I guess a berm is feasible at a few clubs, but how feasible are they if the club shoots into a woods, or over a marsh, or gully, or over a hill?

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

The old Drive in theater screens lasted a long time. I'm sure that would be expensive nowdays.

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The problem with trap shooting is Old Age. What's the average age of a shooter that pays his own way? Everyone I shoot with and see at the club on a regular basis is at least 55 plus. And through the years that number has dwindled as some have passed on or quit due to infirmaries. It's an expensive sport, and who has the money? Old guys, that's who. I noticed a real drop off (maybe 40%) when the WWII guys started dropping out. Then the Korea guys, that are pushing 80 plus. Who's left? Vietnam guys and there is far fewer of us. I see a lot of younger pistol shooters now, but they aren't moving to the trap range because they don't hunt with a shotgun. They don't hunt at all. They just like to shoot their Glock's as fast as they can pull the trigger.

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

MrSkeet, what I find interesting is that almost no effort at all is being employed in this neck of the woods. As long as there is a clear area before the trees a curtain can be placed at a 45 degree angle to catch the shot. HMB

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Our secretary has noticed that there are a lot more life members over the last few years. After 65 with 3 active years, you get the free ride.

The reason is simple. New shooters are not plentiful. Even with an active league program, 2 nights a week, many opt not to spend the 50 and join. It only takes 20 rounds for payback but they still don't.

Our club has a great number of skeet targets shot in open shooting. Yesterday while I was there I would estimate 7-8 rounds of trap and about 15 of skeet.
    This is only in a one hour period, but typical.

The social aspect, chatting between stations etc seems to be the attraction.

The collar is going to have to loosen before more than just a few regular people come to shooting as a recreation. The country has a lot of problems that are costing us money.

HM

HM

20. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

This is so simple - If Justin Bieber or Natalie Portman or Brad Pitt or Tina Fey shot some trap and it was publicized, there would be an increase in participation in Trap shooting by younger folks, under 30.

The ATA & NRA needs to do a MUCH better job of spreading the word OUT about the shooting sports not AMONG existing shooters. That market is nearly saturated.

Marketing - exposure & style & target demographics all need to be improved. We don't need any more full page ads in T&F or American Rifleman aimed at US.

How come we see such growth in ultimate frisbee and snow boarding instead of in trap, one of America's oldest sports? Because the marketing & sales managers in our associations need a new way to think and involve modern methods and new ideas.

How much trap news & marketing do you think is being spread by Facebook or Twitter? This is where the young people are. If trap isn't there too, it will die.

Imagine a U Tube showing how much fun Katie Perry had giggling after breaking a few clays, or an article in People Magazine about the top 5 American Idol contestants at the trap line out side LA.

Think outside the Flat people !!!!! Who is running the NRA & ATA marketing departments? Stop spending the advertising dollars TO US and spend it on promoting to others!

js in PA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.