1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun control facts needed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by A Sparks, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Sparks

A Sparks Member

Can someone point me to peer reviewed stuff that's done by individuals who are NOT near retirement in an academic backwater or so pro gun connected it makes their work of little value when used in discussion.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

http://tinyurl.com/yobqcz

Saw this on a thread earlier today.

I read it fairly completely.

This should help.

Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy
    Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder and Suicide?

To summarize:

"There is simply no relationship evident between the extent of suicide and the extent of gun ownership. People do not commit suicide because they have guns available. In the absence of firearms, people who are inclined to commit suicide kill themselves some other way."

And

"In sum, the data for the decades since the end of World War II also fails to bear out the "more guns equal more death" mantra. The per capita accumulated stock of guns has increased, yet there has been no correspondingly consistent increase in either total violence or gun violence. The evidence is consistent with the hypothesis that gun possession levels have little impact on violence rates."

And

"Thus both sides of the gun prohibition debate are likely wrong in viewing the availability of guns as a major factor in the incidence of murder in any particular society. Though many people may still cling to that belief, the historical, geographic, and demographic evidence explored in this Article provides a clear admonishment. Whether gun availability is viewed as a cause or as a mere coincidence, the long term macrocosmic evidence is that gun ownership spread widely throughout societies consistently correlates with stable or declining murder rates. Whether causative or not, the consistent international pattern is that more guns equal less murder and other violent crime. Even if one is inclined to think that gun availability is an important factor, the available international data cannot be squared with the mantra that more guns equal more death and fewer guns equal less death. Rather, if firearms availability does matter, the data consistently show that the way it matters is that more guns
    equal less violent crime."

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

What is your question?? "academic backwater or so pro gun connected" what is that?? Why would being near retirement have any bearing on an issue?

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

John Lott, former professor from the University of Chicago, published a treatis on gun control called "More Guns, Less Crime". He is a noted expert on the fallacies of gun control arguments.

The book is available through any of the major book sellers.

Jay

5. A Sparks

A Sparks Member

"academic backwater or so pro gun connected" what is that?? Why would being near retirement have any bearing on an issue?"

It doesn't bother me but but when you argue points about gun control published by....let say, the NRA, many people just don't believe those stats as being truthful.

Forget it....I found what I needed.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Maybe so, A Sparks, but that initial post could sure have come across a lot more respectable to a gun community. I found it at least marginally insulting....breakemall....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.