1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Clubs vs STS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Sep 8, 2013.

1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I was on the range with a gentleman who said he had patterned 11/8 oz gun clubs with 71/2 vs STS-- He said the holes in the patterns were were really big and there were fifty less pellets when he dismantled the shells.

I use gun clubs for practice, but when it counts I use STS.

Phil Berkowitz

2. Slugo

Slugo Member

Gun Clubs are just as good and can be reloaded numerous times. I shoot them most of the time.

3. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

For short yd. hdcp; I can't tell any diff.But use 7 1/2.

Clyde

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The holes in what pattern were really big? There were fifty less pellets in what shell? HMB

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I don't use Gun Clubs for long yardage Handicap, the lead shot is too soft.

6. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

The easiest way to find out how many pellets are in a shell is to cut it open. Weigh the charge. Each pellet weighs somewhere around 1 grain. 50 grains short would be something like shooting a 1 ounce shell when you were expecting a 1 1/8.

Counting pellets is also easy if you have a digital camera. Just pour them out on a towel and take a picture. Use Shotgun Insight to count the pellets. If you are just counting one shell then you can do it the old fashioned way. But if you want to demonstrate a trend, you need to cut open a dozen shells and calculate the mean and std deviation of the measurements. Shotgun Insight will make that a whole lot easier.

My investigation of premium 1 1/8 ounce shells showed that they were very consistent, regardless of brand. Within a few pellets of each other.

7. lwr_

lwr_ Member

Gun Clubs are just as good on the inside. It is the hull that is not as good.

8. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

Hard to believe 50 pellets short.

Regards , Pete

9. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

In singles, you will break them with Gun Clubs if you are on them. If not, not even a bazooka will help you. For handicap, use STS.

10. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

If the lead in the gun clubs is super soft, you most certainly would have fewer pellets when compared by weight to 6% antimony STS Magnum shot but 50 less? I highly doubt it. Now if you cut open a #8 STS and a # 7.5 Gun club, I might bite on that one.

JK

11. rdf59

rdf59 Member

STS hulls better than Gun Club? I don't agree with that statement from my experience.

I use Gun Club and STS at different times, but always follow the same procedure with the hulls. I use 66L plastic bins and will put once fired new hulls into my #1 container until I accumulate about 800-1,000 hulls. Then I stop using new shells and start on a reloading cycle with those hulls. As I reload those hulls and shoot them, the empties go into another #2 bin marked RELOADED 1x. When I go through the #1 bin I am ready to start reloading from the #2 bin and when fired those hulls go into a bin marked RELOADED 2x.

On this years hulls I am into reloading and shooting my RELOADED 7x hulls.(which means they have been reloaded 8x) On my first batch I inspected the most recent 200 hulls after firing them.(I never inspect until 6x) I have decided to throw out the batch after completing and shooting them.

WHY? Because the STS hulls are showing signs of splitting and fraying in the crimp, but the Gun Clubs are fried, but not split nor frayed.

This would tend to indicate that the Gun Clubs may be more durable than the STS hulls. From my experience, and from others with whom I correspond, the two Remington hulls are, at the least, equals when it comes to reloading.

12. bevolt

bevolt Member

density of pure lead is 11.35 g/cc. density of lead-antimony alloy with 6% antimony is 10.88 g/cc. I calculate that the lower density alloy 7 1/2 shot would have about 16 more pellets in a 1 1/8 oz load.

TinyL thanked this.
  13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I think a lot of you are smoking something funny. If any of you think that the patterns for equivalent shells between Gun Club and STS are equivalent, I'll tell you your methodology is deficient. Geez! You don't even need Shotgun Insight to tell you the Gun Clubs are inferior, you can see it with the naked eye if you are experienced enough.

The same goes with the Estate crowd. It's drek! Anything you cobble together for a reload is probably better.

14. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

ZZT don't say another thing! I want everyone to use them. ;)

Ajax

15. Heeringa

Heeringa Active Member

Which shell is better? There is only one correct answer. That answer?

Practice.

If you can't point the gun in the right spot consistently, it doesn't matter what you're shooting.

Heeringa

16. alf174

alf174 Member

Each gun will be different on the patterning board, YRWV Your Results Will Vary.

17. warren

warren Member

I agree with 59 sts shells have more of a tendency to split than gun clubs same with the gold colored nitros. The head is apparently the same size as they load interchangably but the gun clubs definetly load more times. It must have something to do with the texture of the gun club.

warren

18. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

agree with LWR, Gun Clubs reload excellent. Only issue i have with them is the steel base. They tend to hang up in my Model 12 and require a little more force to get them to eject. STS shells are a better hull for my set up. Still trying to figure out the "50 less pellet" comment. A reloader dropping 1 oz or whatever should drop 1 oz in any Rem hull.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Steel base shells stick in my 90T.

This tends to piss off my squad mates. I have found no durability issues with STS/Nitro shells.

HM

20. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

Betcha it's all shot quality. The higher antimony shot in the STS is going to give you more pellets per ounce, but 50 seems too high to be explained by that alone. But the shot in Gun Clubs is not as uniform as in STS and there is a good chance much of it is over-sized. That will give less pellets.

As far was 'holes in the patterns', I generally walk away from such foolish blabber. Patterns are bigger or smaller, tighter or more open, but 'holes in patterns' or 'more uniform' is just club house blabber.

Search tags for this page

reloading gun club vs sts

what makes sts a better shell then glub