1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Clubs Forcing 200 Bird Events<--Bad Idea

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

geez it takes long enough to shoot 200 target events in one day, will loose me on that deal if tried around here. Sky rocketing prices have set limits on my shooting this year. To start no over nights and no more than 2.5hr drive.

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Drew, having to shoot both days would hurt a shooter having that one "hot" day also. In that same line of thinking, so does tie carry overs from one event to the next and so on. When we're trying to keep shooters in the organization, such practices will discourage a lot of newer shooters in my opinion. Hap

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Some clubs have discovered that the trophy package for a 100 bird event is the same cost as it is for a 200 bird event. The scheme of shooting 100 of a 200 bird event on two different days does not bother me, but I agree that it would present a problem for others.

This system does favor the shooters who support the club by attending both days, but is punitive to the shooters who cannot attend both days. A club would have to look at the numbers to determine if this is a good system for that club.

How about a shoot where trophies and money are awarded based on the combined scores shot at two different clubs 50 miles from each other and the shoots are on two different week ends?

Pat Ireland

4. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I agree this is a poor way to run a shoot. I also see clubs starting to sneek in 200 bird 16yd events in a normal ATA shoot date, making it a 400 bird day. This will also push people away. Most do not the extra cost or pounding. but clubs are tyring to make up for the loss of shooters.......maybe the wrong way.

GS

5. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

I Disagree! As I generally have to travel 1 1/2+ hours each way, I want to get in as much shooting as possible, and would welcome 300 birds each day, including Sat & Sun...that structure mandates that something get split up, though. That is an issue, I admit, but getting 300 birds each day lets me "get my money's worth"

One persons opinion...

WNCrob

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Its called marketing, some people will buy into it while others won't ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Along the lines of Pat's suggestion, there is a shoot here in Pennsylvania called The Claybuster where shooters shoot at 100 singles at three different clubs within a 30-minute drive of each other. Trophies and awards are given out at a banquet that evening. The program is popular as there is a waiting list for the limited number of spots available.

Ed

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

You know, I've attended many shoots in the same corner of the world as Drew and each time I've run across a split of the 200 singles there's always been awards for the individual 100s PLUS the "championship" awards for the 200 singles. I've never seen a negative to this and have had occasion to only shoot one day or the other without feeling picked on. I can imagine a person shooting for (aiming at) winning the championship event preferring the 200 in one day but that's rarely my motivation. If these events have changed since my latest down time, I may re-think the situation.....breakemall...Bob Dodd

9. trap906

trap906 Member

sometimes clubs carryover from one day to the next. I don't like that either. 200 singles is ok as long as you award a winner for the first day as well as the second and then if a shooter wants to just shoot the first 100 he still has a chance at winning something for his efforts.. just my opinion

10. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

200 bird races of ANY type pretty much stink,but 200 split over 2 days REALLY STINKS! sounds like the club wants to stack the deck in favor of the locals!

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

What's wrong with a club trying to promote a 2 days shoot. Has nothing to do with stacking for locals. They have a reward for those that support the club for both days, give someone another reason for shooting both days. Everyone I have seen has money for each 100 plus a combined purse, so what is the bitch. If it's the trophy, the same people who complain about 100 birds trophies are on here complaining about 200 bird trophies.

Don't kill the idea before it's tried. Attendance will determine whether it is a good idea for that individual club. Location to shooters will also be a factor, so what works for one may not for another.

Quit being so damn negative.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.