1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Club W/shooting supplies

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Gun Clubs that have shooting supplies have an advantage on extra sales and a Golden Oppurtunity for sales. Remember this Gun Club Mgr or Owner, YOU CANNOT SELL WHAT YOU DO NOT HAVE and excuses are not acceptable. Keep Shot in inventory at all times, popular wads in stock, popular powders in stock.

And shooters will come back time and again, Stock enough supplies, and watch the inventory for re-ordering.

They will go someplace else if you don't have it.

GB
    DLS

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

How did clubs ever survive without you Dr.Cuckoo??

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I just be happy if they sold shells at cost and made the profit on targets thrown.

4. Dr.Longshot

If you got a captive audience take care of them, they are taking care of you,
    you have a Golden oppurtunity, shooters are coming to shoot and they use up their shells and need supplies for more shells, you cannot sell what you do not have, it's that plain and simple.

GB
    DLS

5. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

The problem I see with that is if you have something worth stealing and people know about it, then they're gonna try and break in and steal it. Every gun club I've been to is in a remote area that isn't very populated. Someone breaks in and you don't realize it for 3 or 4 days. Then what?????

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Most clubs do not have the kind of cash just laying around to afford such a large financial outlay. You'd probably be looking at @ least 15k to start, and that wouldn't even get you one of everything, maybe an few 8lb'ers of the most popular powders, a few cases each of the most popular wads and primers, and a ton or so of each shot size (a ton each of 7.5, 8, and 9 would run you just shy of 10k in my area). I think the clubs that can afford to do this already are, and the clubs that can't, won't.

7. skeet_man

There are also numerous legal restrictions regarding the transportation and storage of large quantities of powder, forms that need to be filled out when it's sold, ect. Not the kind of stuff a 2 or 4 hole club wants to deal with, let alone finding some dupe who wants to put his name on all the paperwork...

8. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

There is some merit to what Dr. Longshot says above. I left two different clubs to join a third only because the first two did not sell components. I did renew my membership at the second only because members get a good discount on practice rounds with a punch card. And this club is actually closer to my home.

Jim Bradbury

9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I agree with Skeet_Man with the addition to the cost outlay for supplies and the legal aspect of selling shells , powder and primers mainly , the other is who will be spending the time ever time the club is open to sell these items . Granted it is a great idea but logicly most clubs aren`t set up for this kind of sales . I personally have ordered 2 times $12,000 and $13,000 orders from CAC and spent at least 4-5 months taking orders and handing out the components plus selling 25 cases of shells to individuals at no income for me so who in these clubs will give there time to do this . Not me anymore , thats for sure .

10. Joe Potosky

Not uncommon to have a club take care of its members, you just don't see it at all clubs.

Been doing this all my shooting career.

Just this month I purchased lead and ammo.

Five clubs that I belong purchase components/shells for its members.

Usually bought in with a load of targets, but not always.

You make your needs known. They buy in bulk and you pick up at the club when delivered. They always appriciate if you can help with unloading the truck. One of the clubs makes you pay in advance.

One club keeps reloading supplies on hand. Usually adds a few dollars..

11. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

The clubs I belong to keep a small supply of shells as a courtesy for its members but do not keep reloading supplies IN STOCK. But...they will and do order any amount of reloading supplies or ammo you want. It arrives with the targets every month to six weeks. All it takes is some planning on the shooters part and almost every club is happy to bundle your shooting needs with the target order. If your club doesnt do that for you...just ask and I bet it will happen.

12. coot shooter

coot shooter Member

A better idea is to have the club allow their members to purchase shells/supplies @ or slightly above the wholesale price a few times a year.

This works out well, and the for profit club can probably get a bulk pricing.
    Just have the members provide the money up front on what they order.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Actually a club is probably doing it's member as diservice by sinking a bunch of money into an inventory or reloading supplies especially if these supplies are to be sold at little or no profit. An much better use of that money would be in the form of range improvements like better machines/replacement parts, field repairs or expansions , etc.

If you don't believe that then put your own money up for the initial inventory and see how long it takes to recover it with even a 10% margin. You won't like it.

14. 87AA

87AA TS Member

Better yet is a club that has the ability to make bulk purchases at wholesale prices and allows members to place orders. The club doesn't have to put up a bunch of money and the members get a good deal and hopefully pay the club back by shooting targets.

15. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

As I said above , it`s either you or the same person who takes the time out of their life to help others save money or a trip to the supply house on their own . It`s gets to be a burden after a few times doing it with little or no thank you`s .

16. Joe Potosky

A poor excuse to not make bulk purchases for members. Especially after I read the other postings on this board about the cost of shooting and where are the shooters....

As said, other then time it takes to put together an order, it does not cost the club anything to place bulk order for members.

Some clubs do it once a year and seen others every three or four months.

You receive orders from members (email or written request), you make a master list, call it in. Get the bill upon delivery and collect money from members when they pick up the order. Not rocket science.

Usually get an email, given time of delivery, and those who can show up to help unload the truck,

I appreciate the service when offered.

17. skeet_man

Then you get to chase down those who didn't pay, and eat the supplies that either people can no longer afford or no longer want. Depending on the pricing volatility, there could be a price increase b/w the time a shooter places an order and the time it comes in, which some will refuse to pay.

You need to take the time to collect all the orders. Then you have to organize them into a cohesive list. Then you have to place the order. Then you have to go pick it up, or be at the club when the supplier delivers it. Then you need to break it down into each individuals orders. Then you need to contact each individual and let them know that their stuff is in. Then you need to wait for each person to show up, on their schedule, to pick up their items (hopefully they pay for what they ordered). By the time all is said and done, you probably have 20 man hours invested, all on a volunteer basis. To expect someone at the club to do this for you is beyond ridiculous. If you want to spearhead the operation, and do all the legwork yourself for zero pay and probably close to the same in appreciation, go for it. But don't fault a club who doesn't want to go through the hassle.

18. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

How does having components and ammo on hand to sell to members jibe with their non-profit status as a 503(c) or other non-profit organiozation?

19. Dr.Longshot

Gun clubs are not NON_PROFIT , but some are close to that anyway.

GB
    DLS

20. skeet_man

My club is not-for-profit, meaning we can only make (or maybe its keep) so much profit in a year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

wholesale gun club supplies