1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gun club vs sts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by melbournemike, Feb 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

I've recently returned to trapshooting after an 18 yr hiatus! Is there any substantial differance between STS and remington gunclub hulls?

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

If you're talking about reloading them, they use the same data. The only significant difference between the two becomes an issue in relation to the type of loader you use. STS has a brass base, GC has a steel base. It's generally a bit harder to got some primers to seat properly in the steel base using a P-W or Spolar press than it is using a MEC because of how the primer pocket is/isn't supported.

Otherwise they're basically the same.

MK

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Lots of times gun club & game club hulls are dropped & depending on club rules they are free for the taking. I've never paid for a gun club & or game clubs.

Phil Berkowitz

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I've noticed no difference in my scores between the two. The STS shells do cycle smoother through my autos though.

5. Bridger

Bridger Member

I have had a couple of guns where the Gun Club hull would not cycle as well but it's a very durable hull that is generally free for the taking. I have enough to last as long as I will be shooting.

6. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Ditto on cycling the Gun Clubs through a Spolar. If you don't have a hydraulic, you will definitely notice a difference. I sometimes will reload a few Gun Clubs and then toss them. Right now, I have so many STS I leave the Gun Clubs on the ground when I see them.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Some of the Gun Clubs are just a washed brass. They look brass but they are steel. Do a magnet check, note the magnet will pick up on a steel base, the primer only of a brass base. They can be reloaded, I've tried it, and they reload quite well I just don't have the need to reload them. Alot of guys shoot them, Remington sell alot of them. They probably sell more Gun Clubs than anything these days.

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I reload both of them w/same components, have not noticed any difference, shooting or reloading them. I have a substantial sepply of both, for identification purposes I use the gun clubs w/8s and the STS w/ 71/2s that way never get them mixed up.

I also load the gun clubs w/buddy line back loads w/primer blacked out w/Black Permanent Marker. Loaded w/26grs 800-X, 1 3/16s #6s. That way lead stays the same when buddy misses his target.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Mike, STS hulls are smooth.. That may be the reason the GC would not cycle in my 391 shooting doubles. ( factory GC not reloads). Sold the 391. Have loaded lots of STS & GC. Both are excellent. Might add, the FIRST time I used factory GC I broke 198x200. Larry

10. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I've put a few thousand of the Gun Clubs (factory and reloads) through my 391 Urika 2 Sporting Optima without any issues. Skeet, wobble and sporting mostly all doubles shots. Sounds more like a carrier/elevator issue or an action spring if your gun is clean. I havn't been messing with them to much as of late but, I shoot with guys that they've reloaded them close to a dozen times. I reload my Remington shells with Red Dot or Green Dot so I won't get a dozen reloads with that powder.

11. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I've had a few of the steel bases come loose from the hull on Gun Clubs, even though I resize every one when reloading. Other than that, they reload and shoot fine!

AndyH ;-)

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

MEC says the Steel hulls will decrease the life of your sizing collet.

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I've resized 10s of thousands of Gun Club hulls on the same Super Sizer over the past 5 years and never did anything to it than clean/lube every couple thousand hulls. No sign of wear.

If yours wears out, just replace it. That's why they're not welded in.

MK

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Gun Clubs are the Generic version of STS's, I have been told softer shot ... I do not reload but have been told Gun Club hulls reload the same and last just as long as the STS or Nitro hulls ... I shoot a lot of Gun Club shells and have never had any issues with them in my Perazzi's or Model 12's ... I have never had any issues with the Nitro's or STS's for that matter either ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

THank you guys! THey reload well on my mec 650 and I have plenty .Many shooters leave them on the ground and I replace after 2 or 3 reloads.

16. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

A guy I shoot with is getting close to a dozen reloads on the Gun Club. As much as I like my STS and Nitro reloads I can't say I'm getting a dozen reloads out of them. This could be because of my component combination.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
are remington gun club hulls same as sts
difference between gun club and sts hulls
gun club v sts

gun club vs sts

remington gun club vs sts

remington sts vs gun club

sts vs gun club
sts vs gun club hulls