1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Club vs STS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Wondering, does any one have a component analysis of a Gun Club vs a STS shell. What is the primer difference? What is the Powder difference? What is the shot difference? It would be great if a cost analysis could be found. I'm guessing its less than a buck a box. If Walmart can sell them for $7.57 a box the cost has to be less than $5.00 including transportation. Two years ago you could get STS for about $50.00 & Gun clubs for $32,00. The price of all the components except primers has fallen & wads & powder have remained fairly constant.

Phil Berkowitz

2. shrek

shrek Active Member

the gun clubs have changed over time.

From what I have seen, the current batch of gun clubs is using the STS primer, and the last couple that I took apart had figure 8 wads just like sts has. earlier gun clubs had the rxp type wads in them, at least the ones I took apart.

I don't know if there is a shot difference or not and I have no idea what powder is used.

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Phil:

You've asked, "What's the (primer, powder, and shot) difference" between STS and Gun Clubs. I would respond, "What the difference?"

I respectfully submit your questions are only interesting from an academic perspective indirectly addressing how much of the price differential is driven non-hull components. I would bet the actual cost of production for STS and Gun Glubs is very nearly the same.

Like manufacturers of every other product, Remington sells their shells for what the market will bear. Since many shooters perceive a value difference, they'll willingly pay more for STS/Nitros. After all, Harlan and them other All Americans shoot the premium bullets so they must be better and worth more, no?? Then again, maybe those advertised endorsements are just part of Remington's marketing plan.

Other shooters can't or won't pay the difference. The lower price point of Gun Clubs allows Remington to market them to those of us in the "cheap" group.

The actual issue is whether shooters can break more targets using STS/Nitros vs. Gun Clubs based on performance of the shells. With the possible exception of the Mens All Americans, I don't think so.

sissy

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I think RS is right on target. There is some difference but not the cost diff you see in the store. But I cannot hit crapoloa with Top Guns compared to good bullets. It is a perception and confidence thing.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I've seen Gun Club shells with what looked like Nobelsport primers, and some that look like STS primers.

I've taken apart at least one Gun Club shell (it was a 1 ounce load) and it had a TGT-12S wad in it!

I believe, though I've never tested, the Gun Club shells use a softer grade of shot than the STS and Nitro shells do.

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Some years ago I patterned STS Light Handicap loads on the same nice warm day as Gun Club loads and I got 80% patterns with the STS shells and 65% patterns with the Gun Clubs. I figure it is the hardness of the lead shot. I will use Gun Clubs or other cheapo shells for Singles and Doubles but use my own Green Dot reloads or factory AA loads for long yardage Handicap.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't know what the differences are between STS and GC if anything it is probably shot quality. I do love shooting new STS and Nitro27 shells though, probably a mental thing but they just seem to hammer the targets better than anything else. I like them so much that I am trying to duplicate STS and Nitro27 loadings with my handloads. Again this is very subjective on my part but I think my 'clones' just hammer the targets better than all the other combinations that I have tried. My scores are showing it too.

8. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

635 G "The price of all the components except primers has FALLEN & wads & powder have remained fairly constant." What other components are there besides shot? BRG II

9. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

I just plugged in the latest component costs, and shells are down to under $.13 per round. That's about $3.25 per box.

I use 700x, Claybuster Wads, Winchester primers; and STS, Nitro 27, and Gun Club hulls.

I get some fewer reloads with Gun Club hulls.

Best,
    Dennis

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

miketmx , did you count the pellets in each shell or are you assuming?

11. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Shot hardness and the use of steel heads (on Gun Clubs) vs. brass (on STS) are probably the main differences. Regards, Ed

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I broke open many GC shells, I have found rxp,tgt12s,fig8 wads in all. the powder has always looked the same. I never bothered weighing the powder charge. The shot has been a pot luck. graphited and not. several sizes mixed up. sts have always been uniform in shot and wads

13. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

Recoil S. has written a clear headed and completely reasonable analysis. Best answer to a question this young year.

I have shot both with no consistent, measurable benefit for one over the other.

I am reminded of the similar efforts of golf club mfrs. "Game improvement" clubs don't you know.

I still have not qualified for the PGA US Open ... or a Grand American shoot-off.

I do not think the Ping clubs or the Remington shells were the problem.

Good job Recoil!

14. rdf59

rdf59 Member

I've managed 25's and 97's with both new STS and Gun Clubs On the re-use side the STS's will give you 5 to 7 reloads while you are luck to get 4 out of GC's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gun club vs sts hulls

remington light 8 vs gun club