1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Club Reloads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mis-some, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mis-some

mis-some TS Member

I have heard that Gun Clubs load the same as STS. Is this true? If so is the hull a one piece and will it take the same components? How many reloads doyou get from a hull?

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Hodgdon powder company includes Gun Club hulls with the data it publishes for STS hulls using the same components. It is a one piece tapered-wall hull. You can load them until they fall apart but I never load them more than 3 times.

Morgan

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Use the same recipe as STS/Nitro hulls. They are the same.

I used to load them 5 or 6 times, but since they're so easy to come by, I reload them once or twice and fling them.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Gun Clubs are my #1 choice for loading followed closely by the STS hull. I find that the crimp section holds up better, 10 to 15 loadings is the typical life expectancy. Load them just like the STS hull, these hulls are certainly not second class.

There is a a guy from OK selling GC hulls on this site for a very reasonable price. I bought some from him and was very pleased with the transaction.

5. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I do not like them. For me,using the exact same recipe as in STS,the Gun Glub hull gives more noticeable recoil in standing breech guns. At least in the load I use & have loaded many thousands of times. A load that I have chrono'd & patterned extensively in the STS. That is,1 oz of shot,16.3 of Clays,TGT 1 oz wad,Rem 209 primer. If I do load them at all,they are only loaded 1 time & used only in an 1100 or 11-87 & ejected.
    A lot of people swear by them & love them so I guess I am the oddball here. Tom.

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I can't wear them out. They last longer that the STS hulls.

7. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I agree with tripod, especially the brass ones. 10-12 times is not unusual.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I have sectioned the Gun Clubs and the Sport Hulls as well. They appear to be about identical to the STS and Nitro hulls in dimentions. The materials appear to be different. I have always loaded the Gun Clubs and Sport Load hulls with the same data as the STS. I don't load to the max, so any difference is probably minimal. I get good performance from these hulls and see no reason not to load them. They are plentiful and of a decent enough quality that I can load them about four times and toss them. I will discard a batch when I start to get numerous splits at the crimp, or other signs of deterioration, such as burning and soft/hard material near the crimp. It's not worth sorting and inspecting them to get another loading from only half of them. I've discarded some after only one or two loadings and I've had some last as much as nine. I would guess it depends on the lot of hulls and the load you use, plus your level of tolerance for ugly reloads. I'm not one to break out the Scotch Tape or Elmer's Glue to help the crimp stay together and retain the shot.

9. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I do not like them. For me,using the exact same recipe as in STS,the Gun Glub hull gives more noticeable recoil in standing breech guns.

I had a back-to-back test of pressure and velocity done by Downrange Mfg. on the same formula loaded on the same machine at the same time using Gun Club hulls and STS hulls just to see if there was a difference. The chamber pressure was around 10% higher and the velocity about 5% higher in the STS samples than in the GC samples.

I know that recoil is a function of shot mass and acceleration and that peak chamber pressure has little to do with what you feel, but I thought the comparison was interesting.

Morgan

10. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Gun Club hulls reload beautifully in my PW 800+. They require a little more effort to resize due to the steel head on them. Yes, they have a steel head - even the brass looking ones are just brass plated steel. You'll confirm this when you take a magnet to them.

My favorite load right off the Alliant Website: 1oz. shot - TGT wad (Rem. or Claybuster clone) - Rem. 209P primer - 18.0 gr. Alliant Red Dot for about 1200 FPS. ......Rick

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

3dram your right, I thought I hit a gold mine brass bassed gun clubs by the 100s. I only shoot reloads out of the same gun. resize has not been a issue for me. The clubs get a 5 load rotation then dumped. I safe the pretty shells for All Remington parts and money shoots.

12. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

mis-some:

The makers of components I use(1) identify Gun Clubs, STS, and Nitros as ballistic equivalents, i.e. interchangeable, for purposes of reloading.(2) That’s good enough for me.

Over the years, I’ve loaded tens of thousands of Gun Clubs.(3) I’ve had problems with loose primers when steel headed hulls (Gun Clubs and cheap Federals) are loaded several times. So, I load them once and let them fly. The nice thing is they are so abundantly available (new and free for the taking) it isn’t necessary to load them more than once.

sissy

(1) For the record, I quit reloading when lead shot hit - then passed $35/bag last summer. I’ll start reloading again when shot prices go down or the price of new bullets gets ‘high enough’.

(2) Hodgdon Power Company is an example. Their on-line re-loaders guide lists data for STS, Nitros, and Gun Clubs all together.

(3) 3dram8 is correct. All Gun Club hulls, regardless of head color, have steel heads.

13. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Thanks, Morgan. GOOD LUCK

14. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

I would load the gunclubs over any other hull out there(that i've seen). They are strong,10 loads easy,and are very easy to come by. A close second would be sts but they are a bit flimsy around the crimp area compared to the gunclubs and I have found the "brass" based hulls resize easier than the steel. but thats just my opinion on my MEC600jr and 650 others may have different results. Sawyer

15. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I use Gun Club hulls for my premium trap loads. I load Kemen for Bunker and such. I used to get all of the Remmies I could carry in my car, but some rascal let the secret out. They load GREAT.

16. 6ft lead

6ft lead TS Member

yes i load right off the Alliant chart as well, 1oz shot, tgt12 wad, 18grs. red dot, gun club hulls, cant't hardly wear them out. i interchange the nitro 27 as well on my single stage mec with no set up changes. they are the best thing since the old AA's of yesterday. load them with Alliant powders off there interactive reloaders guide and you won't be disapointed. 6FT LEAD.

17. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

CAPT. MORGAN,thank you very much for sharing your experiences on the pressure/velocity levels of the STS/Gun Club. So now I have to go verify my thoughts on the recoil. I do a couple of perfect guns for this. A Belgian Browning Lighting Trap 30" that goes about 7 3/4 # & a Webley & Scott side by each 28" bbl 2 3/4" 3 1/4 ton proof that weighs a actual 6lb 4 oz. And has a checkered butt!!! I just got it & have not tried it(too cold here in MT.) So,when it happens I will write. Recoil,being different to each individual,should still show any really large differences. PS 37-38 this week-end so it may be a bit. Tom

18. 6ft lead

6ft lead TS Member

if your worried about recoil, you can go to green dot, a slower burning powder that is fluffy. that should be a nice soft load in the 1150fps range. even at the higher 1200fps, green dot still shoots soft. as far as the longegevity of the hulls, the heaver the load, the more damage to the hull and more importantly the powder cup. light trap loads will keep the hulls useable longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.