1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Club Membership

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Is it just the gun clubs I'm a member at or do they all have these problems?

Why is it that you can only get 5-10 shooters out of 300 members in a club to actively participate in a league?

At another club I'm a member at I've gone to a few of the club meetings and everyone thinks they own the club. Usually the guys with the biggest egos/the ones who think they personally own club are the ones who I can never recall seeing shoot at the club. Yet they are always making suggestions on how the club should be ran.

Then you have the people who think they have a law degree at another club I was a member at. The guy who has to come over while you are shooting and tell you that everything you have is illegal and that you're lucky a cop doesn't show up because you're committing at least 5 felonies. But if a cop does show up you might get lucky and he may just confiscate your stuff and let you go.

2. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

Rich,

Not all gun club members are trap shooters. Each member that pays his dues should have a voice in how a club is managed.

What I think you will find is that some members are also the workers. These workers are the ones that keep a club going.

Ron Burdick

3. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

The BOD are volunteers most of whom are dedicated to the success of our clubs. Usually on an open day (with good weather) you can expect 10-15% of the membership to come and shoot. Thats been my observation. There have been many thread on here about the "Old Codgers" at clubs. Usually these are meant to be funny. But its really not funny. If your members don't make new visitors feel welcome,they won't come back. If the new visitors hear a bunch of pissing and moaning members,they won't come back. These visitors can actually hurt a club more than if they had never came at all. They will tell thier friends,relatives and neighbors of thier experience. Its not at all unlike getting poor service somewhere. You see the members, not the BOD have the responsibilty of making others feel welcome. As members we own a part of our clubs, Its all our responsibility to make people feel good about being there.
    If a club has a negative element. Remove it! We had to do exactly this at my club,our membership quadrupled in 2 years. Just by making 4-5 people that were always negative feel unwelcome and asked them to leave. Its hard but it has to be done or your clubs will never grow. If you have Directors that make poor decisions? you vote them out right? If you have members that constantly run down the club? kick them out.As members, help your club by volunteering a little. If you see someone new,go introduce yourself,welcome them,show them around. Rich this how you will get more participation.If something you used to do don't work anymore ask questions,find out why. Do something new and different.
    We did and its working.
    Good luck
    Dennis

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I can certainly relate to your comments as I am pres of a club. We are a small club with 79 members but only a very small few want to do anything. The members & BOD that are the bitchers are the ones who never do anything but are the first to point fingers at the ones who do. I doubt it will ever change. Most of our members appreciate what the workers do but it seems like some do not really appreciate it but rather expect it. I feel like the BOD jobs are to listen to the people and then do what makes the best sense and results in the best success for the club. Those decisions always piss someone off but you just have to look the other way. I have tried to please everyone & it is not possible. As far as participation in Leagues or other activities, that will not change either but my theory is do what the majority want and it should be obvious to your club that a league is not what the majority wants. Try new things until you hit things they like & participation will be there. And as said above - welcome everyone and treat them like you really apprecitae their business. Every person that comes through the door is a customer & customers demand a high grade of service and quality of product today more than ever. You have to make them feel like you care about them.

5. williamkelly

williamkelly Member

Just remember Jesus had 12 deciples one was judus think how many you got with 100 members Do what you have to do to keep the club going with the ones dont like it do what i do tell them to KISS your ass they will get the message

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.