1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Club Membership Forms

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bob_K, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Yes, my club has a form for new member applications, and does ask what specialties a prospective member may have, or what areas he would like to volunteer for. Additionally, my club has a requirement that a new member participate in four work parties during their first year to be able to renew their membership. After that, the four work parties are strongly suggested but there is no penalty for non-completion. If you want to hunt on the property, however, the four work parties are required. A work party (sounds like fun, doesn't it?) is about two hours of cleaning brush, construction projects, maintenance, target frame repair, hauling clay birds, grass cutting, holding an office, etc.

Our membership form can be found at:
    http://www.northernvirginiagunclub.org

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Our membership application asks for occupation, skills/trades that the prospective member has + a couple of volunteer duties in specific areas - education/training, political action, trap repair etc.... We now require sponsorship of new members (mentorship) and implemented a probationary period, to generate a better member.

Getting folks into the pipeline is not a problem, but a few are not following through with their requirements (new member orientation sessions, work requirements etc...) so they get canned.

Membership has its benefits AND responsibilities.

Jay Spitz

3. spitter

Steve:

This biggest obstacle to getting help from members is the Club leadership itself. In general they don't ask or don't ask enough. I was at a shooting seminar and there was a book from the AMA (management assoc) - called "its OK to ask them to work".

We can compile all the members' info we want, but if we don't do anything with it - its worthless.

Respectfully,

Jay Spitz

4. old870

old870 TS Member

Yes,
    Yes and
    No.

It's always the same group of people who volunteer for work parties. Luckily it's the same group of people who also show up at the monthly meetings. I guess it's only right that the workers are the ones that actually show up to vote on things concerning the club.

There always seem to be the complainers, but they're the ones who never volunteer for anything!!

5. spitter

Old870,

I agree 100% with your statements - its the same thing at most clubs. You can only go to the same well, so many times. I think the leadership has to take the reins and point a finger at non-working individuals and say I need you to work...

One slippery slope is what to do with Patron Members (those who pay, but don't shoot). You want the income stream, while not wanting to alienate a segment of your "retired" membership.

No easy solutions!

Jay Spitz

6. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Yes when applying, yes, and yes. Our application form asks the usual, including occupation, employer, and (required) NRA membership #. It also requires sponsorship by a current member. Then a second form asks specific questions, like ranges they intend using, experience with range safety officers, military experience, other places they've shot, where they learned to shoot, why they want to join, what they can contribute, etc. Attached to it is a list of all club range rules & range orientation info. All applicants are required to have an interview with the Board, discussing their answers on the application, then a club walk-through orientation with a Board member. We stress that it's a shooting club, not a shooting range, and we hope for active participation. Renewals are simple. Phil E

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.