1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Club Management

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FelixD, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FelixD

FelixD Member

Does it seem to anyone else that many gun club's operations are poorly managed? Perhaps I'm just seeing problems at the clubs nearest to me, but when visiting many clubs outside of my immediate area the attitude and operation seem equally amateurish. It seems like it is the small things that are the most bothersome. Such having to wait 15 minutes to shoot and there is no one on the field, or four shooters waiting 45 minutes for a 5th shooter to fill a squad, etc. Or, sending out a 6 man squad without asking anyone because "they" thought it was OK. Mind you this is not when targets are being loaded or maintenance work is being done. In the case of one local club they wonder why casual shooting has dropped 65% in the last two years. So is this happening all over?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Are you referring to a paid management position? Those are very rare in the areas I shoot.

Pat Ireland

3. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Those things happen at our club sometimes, but are overlooked as all help is volunteer and all you have to do is hollar, lets go!

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Another case of too many chiefs and not enough Indians lol. Why do you have to wait for a 5th shooter? Shoot a short squad if you are in THAT big a hurry.

Tell all them volunteers that you want them to get after it and I mean NOW.

One should be happy just to have a place to shoot at these days.

John

5. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Out of (supposed to be) 24 directors (volunteer) of which we are about 6 short I was the only person who opened and ran the shoot last night (I knew my usual buddy would be on vacation), along with one trapkid. If you are wanting to get things to run mor efficiently ...volunteer your time to the club's board. Whether it is in an official position or just casual help when they need it. Get involved. It is the only way for smnall clubs are going to survive.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It is very unusual in a club situation to have everybody pulling in the same direction. When they do it's great.

Club situations require 1 leader type who is smart enough to put the rest of the crew in spots where they will be an asset. Privately run operations that survive will learn all the lessons and run a little more smoothly.

Sometimes it just don't happen.

Better than staying home anyway.

HM

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

quit complaining and do something to help

quit whining-- no one wants to hear it and it is non productive

Gene

8. FelixD

FelixD Member

Gene, It's most unfortunate that you see my questions as complaining. After three dozen years of volunteering my time and MONEY to this and several other clubs I think I have the RIGHT to ASK A QUESTION. Sorry questions are offensive to you. It is this short sightedness that drives people out of trapshooting.

9. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

At our club this year we went back to manditory range duty for all members . Pull at least 5-6 days a year which includes opening up the trailer and trap houses , setting out the cords , pulling targets , setting targets in the houses , taking the money , wrapping up afterwards , signing out and taking all the empties and cardboard when leaving . Thats a lot of work for 1 person so we added that all members that are shooting there will assist this man on duty to the end so he can have a chance to shoot a few rounds also . Even non-members want to help out with pulling targets also and if cases are needed in the trap houses , most people there will lend a hand . This is working for us so far with little complaints except for a few who don`t really shoot much . We had a $50 by-out of duty last year but it`s too easy for guys to say the hell with it and fork over the $50 and not do anything . That will be abolished come Jan and I expect a few members to drop out of the club . Well good ridance to them if they can`t give a little of their time to keep our club functioning smoothly .

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Felixd

With volunteer operations, we get what we pay for! In any group, we're lucky to get the passionate few who truly aspire to make things run well. That applies to members at-large, Board members, trap help etc... 80/20 rule?!

Last year we re-introduced a sponsorship requirement, mandatory orientation sessions, work days all during a probationary year. Some won't make it and in the end, thats OK - we need to thin the herd.

If you shoot you work. Don't shoot, but want to just send me some money - that's great, I'll take it and you don't have to work. Membership has its privileges AND responsibilities.

Jay

11. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

between my membership dues and the rather high price i pay to shoot a line of trap, I wonder just how much time you all would require me to volunteer.

Hell...I'd be more than willing to go & fill a trap, or carry out the mic's...but having 4 traps and having to stand around for 30 minutes to shoot because they only have one trap open...well, I get a bit peeved.

I've spoken to the Shotgun Committee chairman and his wife (who also wondered about the poor way things were being run)...things seemed to have picked up.

btw...it's not an all-volunteer club...usually have 2-3 trap kids working there.

12. spitter

In our operation its 2-3 days a year (4-6hrs/day)out of 95 shooting days. But as was mentioned above, sometimes the only thing needed is a comment here and there to get things going.

Its a tough line, balancing volunteerism in our hobby and running a range as a "business" - which it is.

Jay Spitz

13. halfmile

Can't lose money forever. When it's gone you fold. Management's first duty should be to prevent that.

Efficiency helps the bottome line. Also makes for good PR.

Sometimes the rank and file doesn't understand the basics.

HM

14. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

Since the topic started out discussing the "management" of clubs, having been the Pres of a BOD at a not for profit range, I can speak to the task of keeping things going and keeping the members happy. Perhaps some clubs are "high" on their dues and per round costs, but most of the clubs I have been around are quite reasonable in that realm. I belong to two clubs. At one the family membership is $35 per year and it is $3.00 per round. The other club the membership is $100 per year and shotgun sports (trap or skeet) are $4.00 per round. With the rising cost of targets, those prices are getting closer to "break even" all the time. As stated, even at a range with paid staff, it takes volunteers to keep things running well.

Since we are all "busy" in life, for those that are too busy or feel they pay enough in the form of dues and per round costs, ask yourself where you plan to shoot when the volunteers get tired of helping to keep the doors open...

15. spitter

HM & bikrprchr:

Agree with both of you!

I take a somewhat sarcastic position in that I have a private club paid for by a couple hundred acquaintances! I and the devoted core, who put in a lot of time and effort also draw a tremendous amount of benefit (in access and shooting) because we're there and make things happen.

Anyone can be in my position, all they have to do is show up and pitch in!

regards,
    jay

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

jwells- Above you posted:
    "some people dont have the time or the desire to volunteer. because they work or for any reason. when they come in and spend their hard earned money they should be treated right."

You forgot to add that the work of the volunteers allows you to shoot targets for much less money than if they were not working for you.

Pat Ireland

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Maybe a round of trap should be $10.00 for non-volunteers.....the real volunteers would receive credit slips for X-amount of time/duties completed. Then people like jwells would have no complaints....

Curt

18. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Curt may be on to something. I don't know about the $10/rnd but the Volunteer Time Credits has merit and would be fairly easy to implement/monitor.

I’m a member of a small club and we have a very difficult time motivating members to help with the basics such as mowing, trash hauling, and light general maintenance.

VTCs I like it, thanks.

19. halfmile

We have a 600 member club with a few positions paid, and not paid very much. The paid part was to defray expenses of those spending a lot of time doing otherwise free work.

It has been a benefit to give out shooting tickets for work performed.
    That way both parties benefit. The club gets the work done for less, since the cost of a round is less than the corresponding money would amount to. It has been argued that the tickets are depriving the club of revenue, a point which I disagree on. I feel the workers would not shoot as much if the ticket reward was not there.

This can be a slippery slope and must be treated with caution so abuse does not rear its lovely head. But it may be a way to get workers that otherwise may not be available.

HM

20. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Members have the ability to step up any time and get things done at our club. If you Trap management is appointed and he wont shoot a short squad, Well what to do? My battle cry is "shut up and shoot" We have a good bunch needed things get done. Allthough some guys will sign up for a line and talk for ever between rounds. I will usually toss a deck of cards on the table, gets them going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.