1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Club Liability Insurance

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TOOLMAKER 251, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I need an accurate opinion on a club liability issue, We had a BOD meeting tonight with a lawyer present and I asked him a question about if someone would get hurt while using our ranges. My question was who would be responsible if someone were to be injured because of an accidental shooting or a catastrophic failure beyond the club liability coverage. His answer was "no insurance would pay off on any accident because you accept the responsibilities for being at a dangerous place, such as a ballgame when ones liable to be hit by a ball" This club is not a C3, or C7 status and is in Pa.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Get another lawyer, and talk to your insurance co.

3. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

+1 for a different lawyer

I just came home from a 4 hour meeting where we are trying to bring a very resistant membership into the 21st century.

c3 is a tax status not a liability code or corporate liability status. My club is a c4. A talk with the IRS showed a gun club has a hard time meeting the requirements for a c3.

In WI we are Incorporated as a non-stock, not for profit corporation. the club has liability insurance. As a corp the corp is liable not the membership. The BoD is liable for negligence on their part - not just for an accident, but for overall management or mis-management of the corporation.

If it was just a group of members and not incorporated then the members are each individually liable. A nearby club had a lawyer join, then he asked the incorporation question. He planned to pull his membership if there was no corporate shield.

Check your state corporate laws and your clubs status.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Hope that lawyer didn't charge for that advice.

HM

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

The lawyer wasn't totally wrong but of course some you know more. Individuals accept certain risks by being in those places. Insurance co. may not pay but they would pay defense costs which could be huge.

Read the back of your ticket at an event. Why do you think some clubs have you sign a statement before you shoot. In some states you can't be held liable for "clear and apparent" risks. Read disclaimers on shell boxes, powder containers, etc. There is no real defense for true negligence.

If anything happens make sure you consult your gun club house lawyers because they know everything.

When was the last time a club was sued for anything?? It would be here in a flash if it happened.

Don

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

It's usually all about who was negligent.... That's the payoff....

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

My understanding is that by being a member of an incorporated club, the corporation "shields" individual members against liability claims.

However, if you are an elected officer or director, you may be personally liable for negligent actions which may include not having sufficient insurance or club assets to pay off a high dollar judgment against the organization. Additionally, an officer or director may have to hire an attorney to defend himself in a lawsuit if the corporation fails or is unable to do so.

Unless a corporation has directors and officers liability insurance (most do not), I will not serve as an elected officer or director.

Ed Ward

8. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

My club carries three separate policies, property, liability, and directors' liability. I think it would be a mistake to forego any of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are members of shooting clubs & ranges held responsible if there are any accidents on the club property

do members of a shooting club have liability

gun club liability insurance

lawyer liability view on gun ranges

liabilty insurance for gun club

shooter liability insurance reviews

shooting club liability insurance

shooting club liability insurance information