1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Club in Folsom area

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Nutso, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nutso

Nutso Member

I'm looking for a ATA club in the Folsom area. I shot at Coon Creek this past weekend and found it a little, well, ah, weird. From the side walk out it was good, from the side walk back, not so hot...I suppose it was ok, except for the free range chicken and herd of goats running up and down the rear of the trap line, as well as what must have been 10 or so cats, plus the rest of the place looked like a RV grave yard. All that being said the targets were ok. and the background was pretty good. I will shoot there in events, but its a little far for practice.

I heard today that the Cordova shooting center was ok, but the reviews were not favorable...also I didn't see where they hosted ATA or PITA shoots.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Guy

Guy Member

Better get used to Coon Creek....or make the drive to Stockton.....which for you will probably take about the same length of time. That's it.

3. Nutso

Nutso Member

ok, pretty dissapointing...

I've heard Auburn Hills is ok, do they throw ATA targets?

4. dphillips8191

dphillips8191 Member

Auburn is a great club not sure if they throw ata targets. I shoot Pita shoot there. There are several other clubs in the area.
    Folsom shooting center on Meiss road, camanche hills hunting preserve, El Dorado rod and gun (Pita only), Cordova shooting center.

Dave

5. Nutso

Nutso Member

ok, Auburn Hills is to my liking....I just need a good place to practice, I'll travel to compete...Stockton looks great as well, but a bit far to call home.

I'll probably visit them all, then go from there.

6. Nutso

Nutso Member

ok thanks... I could tell when I was there the staff was a bit burned out from the shoot, I was the only trap shooter there and it was late afternoon.

What time is the best to go when other serious shooters are there?

I would call the scrap yard for the trailers or torch them this winter, at the very least haul them to the back corner or something.

I guess maybe the good ol german in me was showing through, everything neat and orderly if you know what I mean--I'll get over it. The animals weren"t real big deal, I have a farming background afterall, but I had never experienced it at a club.

7. claybuster38

claybuster38 Member

come to Auburn - you will like it. Good bunch of guys and a nice well run club
    Thursday afternoon or Saturday or Sunday morning. Marv- I'll be glad to shoot with ya. Yes we throw registered targets.

8. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Nevada City has a very nice club for practice!Too bad the members voted for no more ATA shoots.PJ

9. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Nutso, if you come down to Stockton look me up. There is a small faithful group of guys that shoot early Wednesday morning. It is the only weekday the club is open, but open all day until evening for the kids that Ron works with.

Be glad to shoot with you, show you around. Stockton is a nice club, good bunch of guys. Love the big shade trees and grass this time of year. They throw ATA targets about once a month, and several other events during the year.

Shot at Coon Creek, thought George was a good guy, and good targets. Animal farm was interesting, but did not detract too much from shooting. Of course I was not there during a major event either.

If you drop down on Wednesday sometime, there are a couple of us get there real early and get things rolling. Look for white SHO and Jeep Grand Cherokee in the parking lot, and you will be at the right place. The practice trap we use is right by the cars.

10. cafowler

cafowler Member

I think there might be a trap club in Ion, out Jackson Hwy toward Camanche Hills. Not sure of the name, maybe it's pistol only, but I think there's a SCTP team that practices trap out there.

Have you ever tried the gun club locator website. Works all over the country and is up to date for the most part. Somehow you can get to a map of the state showing the club locations.

11. randy-s

randy-s Member

EL dorado Gun club is not far. Check schedule for meat shoots and PITA shoots.

Sundays: 9am–Noon; (Trap: $4.50 members /$5.50 non-members) (Trap: Marshall 306-1156)

Wednesdays: 1pm – 6pm ~ Summer / 1pm - Dusk ~ Winter (Trap: $4.50/$5.50) (Larry: 622-0505)

Thanksgiving, Christmas & Spring Turkey Shoots: ($5.00/event) (Bob: 677-8826)

Novice Trap: Last Sunday of the Month: 9am-noon (Larry: 622-0505)

http://www.edrgc.com/

12. Nutso

Nutso Member

Thanks Paul for the excellent synopsis, I plan on trying them all, Auburn just looks like a good place to hang out, very nice setting, which I like. I'll probably give it a try this weekend.

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Ditto on good things about El Dorado gunclub. I'm a member, but live in Los Angeles! It is that good...LOL...actually, family spends a lot of time in the Placerville area nearby. And the El Dorado Club is close to the famous Red's bar and grill...home of the Golden Cadillac Drink, I believe they call it, wonderful ribs, steaks, friendly place...old timey.

As a person who RV's, I'd suggest that maybe some of the derelict RV's at the Coon Creek Club might, and I emphasize might, be worth something to vintage rv enthuiasts. Old "canned ham" travel trailers, early 50's stuff, etc. are trendy. And scrap metal is always worth something...and think of the price for scrap aluminium.

The cats are there simply to laugh at trapshooters, cats don't need "no stinkin gun" to catch something that's flying.

David

14. rick979

rick979 Active Member

You are lucky that George A. spent all that money to build the facility at Coon Creek. If I stilled lived in Sacramento I would be shooting there often.

15. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Nothing around Monterey county??? I have been here for acouple of years and have resorted to driving to the LOS ALTOS up in San Jose. Does anyone know of anything closer to Monterey County??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.