1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Club hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Sep 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

Someone just gave me a large quantity of "gun club" hulls. I've never loaded anything except AA's. What do I have to change to load the gun clubs? Or should I just not bother. I don't really "need" the hulls.

Bruce

2. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

They make beautiful reloads and can be reloaded several times and may last as long as STS hulls! Use the exact same data as the manuals call for on STS! Some guys whine about resizing the steel bases, but my 9000 G does not mind them! By the way, depending on what gun you are using, you may have extraction problems with them since they are steel bases. Tom Rhoads

3. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I have loaded thousands of them they crimp great and I get 4 loads no prob out of them.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My son shoots one-ounce Gun Clubs for his first doubles shot so he can tell the difference between the STS light 7-1/2s he uses for the second. We reload them eight times, just like our STS/Nitros, and they look like they could go longer.

Ed

5. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

If you end up reloading the Gun Clubs then you have also done your part for recycling. The hulls are green(remington planned that)....and you will have done your part for our new Green movement...the government will probably send you some money from the new stimulus package for doing your part....Uncle Sam, Pa.

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

Anyone want to trade some AA's for gun club's?

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Gun Clubs ARE tapered. Plastic is much thicker at the base. Same reloading data as the Nitro, STS hulls. Wayne

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Gun Clubs use the same wad as the STS. They are the only compression formed one piece hull of all the cheapies and I don't believe they are straight walled. I could be wrong so you had better check the loading data manual.

9. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

GCs and AAs can use the same wads although the AAs seem to crimp better with a slightly shorter wad.

Lister

10. clazy

clazy TS Member

like the previous posters stated, AA, STS and gun club are identicle. They are tapered and use the same components.

11. capvan

capvan Active Member

Thanks everyone for clearing this up. I'll be using them...

Bruce

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

be warned with the gun clubs, I have loaded many of them. But in recent times they metal base is rusting up in short time???? Even have seen many new right out of the box rusted up beyound shooting. Bad run, bad rust preventive? All aside they are great for doubles or any time you just want to load fire and toss.

13. willing

willing Member

Use them all the time in a very humid area. No rust at all. They load more times than STS.

Bill

14. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

They can be loaded with AA wads if you want to. I've been reloading the heck out of them in 20 gauge without issues. I've seen them rust if left laying on the ground or after a rain. The steel bases will tarnish/grey but that's not rust.

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Use STS data and load away. My Mec 9000 does not need any changes from the Gun Clubs to AA hulls. It seemed to do fine with the press set to load the AA's. The only real issue with the Gun Clubs is that the length can sometimes vary a bit. That results in a little inconsistencies in the crimps. Minor nuisance, but that's about it. A slight tweak on the cam fixes it, if it bothers you.

16. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

The hulls I prefer over any other to reload are Gun Clubs with the brass base. They make a perfect shell and last longer than either STS or Nitros. They are worth "dumpster-diving".

Jon Reitz

17. Barry C. Roach

Jon, The base on the brass plated GC's are steel too but the brass plating is definitely better than what ever they plate the silver based ones with.

18. Barry C. Roach

Then they should be worth about four cents a piece?

19. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

As for the Gun Club rust issue, I have gone through a few flats that each has had several shells in them that were rusted. I know first hand that you can get rusty bases. In all probability they sat in a humid warehouse for an extended time. Absolutely not tarnish, but plain old rust. J.W.

20. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Barry... I suggest the GC hulls are a bit less than 4 cents each, maybe 3 cents is what they are worh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remmington gun club hulls recycling