1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Club hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

Not for sale...

I just came across a very large tub of Remington Gun Club Hulls. Are these similar to the STS hulls everyone talks about? Should I come up with a load for these or dump them? I've only shot AA's for the last umpteen years.

Thanks for your advice.

Bruce

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

They can be loaded just like the STS/Nitro hulls. I load them once and toss them but my buddy gets at least 5 loads out of them. Good hull other than being steel based.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Aside from the steel head, there's nothing wrong with them - and a steel head isn't "wrong;" it just isn't the more common brass head that is easier to resize.

Ed

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

What Steve said is right. I kept a batch and loaded them for games all one summer. I got tired of looking at them(they do get dirty) and finally threw them away. Watch for burn rings around the primers.

Ajax

5. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

I just started loading them, and have loaded a couple of them three times. After three reloads they look just like sts's and nitro's after three loads. the only think I notice is it's a little harder pulling on the handle of my spolar. Other than that they are great and always plenty of them for free.

6. paul7177

paul7177 Member

I run them through a MEC Super Sizer before reloading them on my PW.
    They last just as long as any premium hull.

7. warren

warren Member

They last just as long as STS not as pretty but when you pull the trigger the gun goes boom.

warren

8. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

I tend to get about 6-8 loads out of them, as mentioned above check for burn residue around the primer, that's my indicator they are done. I don't change anything whether STS or GC hulls, recipes are the same.

9. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

17.5 to 18 grains 700X, Claybuster CB-1125 wad, 1 1/8oz. 7 1/2shot.

PULL---BANG---DEAD BIRD!!!

Seems to work out good for me. After about the 4th reloading, I run them thru a Mec Case Conditioner just for the heck of it. Really it is because I load for a friend and she has a newer 870 than I do and her chamber is tighter.

Chuck

10. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

I have about 8000 - that ought to last me awhile....

FRedmon

11. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

When I loaded them on my Patriot the machine struggled when it punched the finished shell out of the die. My Patriot and my 800+ both clunked really bad with steel based hulls.

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I've heard separately resizing helps on the PW's

13. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

It's harder to re size the.steel. base verse the brass simple science. Load a lighter load to keep it.from expanding the.base. Works like a champ in a mec.

14. revbook

revbook Member

They are crap hulls......send them to me and I will get rid of them for you.

Don in PA

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

With my 9000E and its Automate, I can't tell the difference between an STS or Gun Club hull - the buttons are no harder to push!

Ed

16. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

I just throw ed some away that's been reloaded 15 times...... I think they could have been reloaded one more time but I told myself to get out some new once and start the summer out right. I think the gun clubs last longer than the STS hulls.

After 5 or 6 times of reloading the STS hulls your going to find splits cases and I haven't seen the first Gun Club hull split even after its been reloaded 15 times.

17. doublegundarnet

doublegundarnet TS Member

I would rather load them over STS or Nitros.

18. Shoot-at-em

Shoot-at-em TS Member

I'm with you, I'd rather laod them than STS/Nitros. I use a MEC 650 and I sometimes have trouble with the wad with the STS. Rarely with the GC. I am now tossing the STS's and keeping the GC.

19. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

I just started reloading these hulls. They really load nice, they remind me of the old RXP hulls.

20. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

They have a thicker plastic than STS and will stick in station one and two on a RCBS grand machine on the downstroke, pulling out of the snappy finger things. Drives me nutz!. It helps me to heat them with a french-fry light so they are more pliable. Given the choice I would take the STS but gun clubs are always in the toss buckets so free is good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.