1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Club Growth and College Kids

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Charlie Becknell, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

At Blue Grass Traps we have have been having our parking lot filled up by college students on Thursday evenings. How did this happen. Some of the U of Kentucky students started coming out and shooting a little bit. We have seen this grow by leaps and bounds. We charge them member rates for shooting. We have helped them to have a Spring and Fall invitational shoot. We have several colleges from Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri attend. A few years ago we even had students from Colorado. The kids have a great time and we certainly enjoy seeing these fine young people learn about our sport. We give new shooters individual instruction and some members bring out old automatics for kids that don't have a gun. If your gun club is not encouraging college students to shoot at your range, you are missing the boat.

Charlie Becknell

www.bgslinc.com

2. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Actually going to a shoot at a College on the 9th. They have built a new range and started a program for their students and student team. The school also truly supports the 2nd.

Don

3. The Stive

The Stive Member

Good news!! It is really great to here about a program for young shooters
    that is working. Keep up the good work. John

4. kansasshooter

kansasshooter Member

The Hays City Sportsman's club in Hays, Kansas also has "club night" on Thursday evenings for college kids. Everyone from experienced shooters to novice shooters (Being watched closely and helped along by an experienced shooter) coming out and shooting trap, skeet and even wobble. It's a neat deal, especially since many of the shooters are new and have never fired a gun before, and most who have shot out there for the first time come back. It's nice to hear about more gun clubs around the country doing this!
    Travis

5. Charlie Becknell

I suspect like most people that take someone to the gun club that is a novice to target shooting, the best way that I have found to make sure they have a good time is to do the following. Give them one of your guns to shoot, provide hearing and eye protection, hull pouch and shell carrier, and your shells. If they have never shot , I usually just help (and don't shoot) and offer lots of encouragement. I loan them a gun that won't hurt them and shells that won't make them gun shy. I believe most women should be started with either 7/8 oz. or 1 oz. shells since many of them have never shot a gun before. Although I am not a very good shot I have been writing a column in our newsletter with basic instruction that is meant for the newcomer. Shooting certainly isn't rocket science but early success certainly builds enthusiasm. If your club has a newsletter and you can find anything useful in my articles, please fell free to use them and modify to suit your needs. They can be found at www.bgslinc.com . Go to trap and look for " Trap Tips by Charlie".

Charlie

6. Seitz Shooter

Seitz Shooter Member

Our club, Wilmington Trapshooting Assn. is the home of the University of Delaware Trap and Skeet team.

They shoot 2 or 3 days a week and we open up for them on a weekday.

One their members has become a NRA certified instructor.

It's a great program.

Adios, Dirk

7. Charlie Becknell

We would like to invite the college teams to our fall shoot, Nov. 13 and Th , with the University of Kentucky as the host school . The kids have a blast. Seems to me I have not seen any Tennessee schools represented. Where are you Volunteers?

8. al391

al391 TS Member

Flagler gun club (in Bunnell Florida) has 2 schools interested in a college shooting program, Stetson and Emory Riddle. This past weekend at our open house more than 40 young adults from these schools came to our club to shoot. We provide Trap, Skeet , Pistol and Rifle. They are just getting their programs started. I asked if the association that governs their shooting was AAU, they didn't seem to know, it seems they could use some advice. I could use some direction to help these students. My E-Mail address is mck2seetl@aol.com I thank you in advance.

Jack Krouskroup, Flagler Gun and Archery Club ATA club Rep

9. Charlie Becknell

Jack,

I sent you an email with the U KY team president or coordinator. Daniel is an excellent source.

Charlie

10. Gary Olin

Gary Olin TS Member

Collegiate clay target shooting is growing in popularity. For example, George Mason University is hosting the second annual Eastern Regional Championships at Fairfax Rod and Gun Club on October 16-17. Last year, schools from Virginia to Vermont competed in the tournament. This year, we're hoping for an even better turnout. Any school that's interested in attending can contact me for more information.

Gary Olin
    George Mason Trap & Skeet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

college gun clubs increase