1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Club Ammo

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gjmen, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gjmen

gjmen Member

I was looking today at Dicks and I saw gun club ammo on sale. I usually shoot STS. What are the opinions of the cheaper ammo, specifically the Gun Clubs. Thanks, gjmen

2. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

JMO, but I shoot alot of Gun Club shells over the course of a year. I have never experienced a mis-fire, weak-sounding shell, or had any of the problems normally associated with cheaper grades of ammunition. They break a very nice target.

The Gun Club has a plastic base, so it is suitable for reloading. There might be some who would tell you otherwise, but I find it to perform quite well with the identical reloading recipes that I use for the Remingtom STS casing. Normally -- I load them twice for 16s ; a third time for doubles - and (then) throw them away.

Older Gun Clubs had a brass base, while the newer versions have a steel base --which is harder than the brass base. Still -- by re-sizing them on a MEC Sizemaster FIRST -- they run very smoothly through my Ponsness reloader.

I wolud highly recommend your giving them consideration, especially if you like the STS -- and are seeking a way to lower your shell costs.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Gun Clubs are good enough for Singles and Doubles but I don't think the shot is hard enough for long yardage handicap. The last time I patterned them at 40 yards I was disappointed when compared to the STS patterns shot from the same gun on the same day.

4. pb

pb TS Member

Great for shooting 16's. Load with the same data as STS, they work great in my MEC and 1100.

Jon

5. NU2Shooting1027

NU2Shooting1027 TS Member

Do not reload but have used them numerous times. Am new to this sport and am on kind of a tight budget with still being in college. They are a little dirtier than the STSs in my semi-auto but other than that didn't notice a difference. Have only used them to shot singles and practice so not sure about shooting farther back for handicap.

Allan

6. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I ran my first 100 straight with them three years ago at 20yds. I do believe that they were better there first several years than now, but they are still very good for the "cheap" shells, that is if 6.00 per box is considered cheap.

7. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

i've had some with the primers set a little deep for my 391 but not too many.jackmitch

8. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Shoot them with confidence and they will be as good as the person shooting them will allow them to be.

9. 6ft lead

6ft lead TS Member

gun clubs are a pretty good shell.we use them all the time and seem to be just fine. relaod as a sts, on a mec and life if good. one another note, i seen a good friend of mine run 25 straight with the winchester game loads, the one that has the confetti for a wad, probably about 3.00 a box, and black balled them all throuhg his Pirrazi. go figure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.