1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Club Accounting System

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by halfmile, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We had a program that was named Peachtree. I think it was accounting specific, but the treasurer at the time had to have it because she thought it worked best for our situation.

Quickbooks is primarily based on an accrual system with billing and payroll built in, suited for many small businesses.

As you say, it's not specific to your needs.

I used an older version of MS MOney and liked it fine. It was geared to a cash system, which is simpler to use in many cases. You created your own categories.

If you use it you will have to delete the later version which comes on newer computers because the new version will take over the old one and leave you stupid.

Quicken may suit you better, more simplicity.

I'm sure you will get more responses.

HM

2. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I'm not aware of anything specific to a gun club. That said, I'd recommend QuickBooks over Peachtree. It is much easier to work with. Peachtree is better with inventory, but a gun club is probably not going to be taking advantage of that to the fullest.

QB handles both cash and accrual basis easily. I suggest you run it on the cash basis and adjust inventories at year end based on physical counts. Exceptions would be using the invoicing feature for your dues, and maybe entering bills as received if you want to track payables. I think the Dues is the more important of the two. You will have reports available to keep track of the unpaid dues etc., it's worth the extra work. You can switch back and forth between cash basis and accrual basis on most reports simply by clicking a bullet on the screen.

MY $.02 - resist the urge to set up detaied accounts for every different possible item, keep it as simple as you can on the cash basis; otherwise you will find that it does not get used. With any of these programs, the hard part is keeping current. If you fall behind it is a tougher task to get caught up. Also remember that you aren't the only person that will be running it, you have to keep it as basic as possible so that it can be handed off after you get sick of being the treasurer.

3. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer TS Member

I used the Quicken basic version for the past 12 years, starting right after it came out. It's simple and as said you don't have be a CPA to run or understand it. Pretty straight forward and printed both a monthly register and year to date cash flow report. I also agree that it's a lot easier to keep it current than try and play catch up. It did on a couple of occasions save our bacon with a couple of suppliers who invoiced us twice. I also use it for the farm and what a pleasure it is to just print the year off on 12/31 and take it to the accountant. You can use pre-installed expense and income categories or add your own. Contact me by PM if I can help in any way.
    Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.