1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun closing problems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kevin Nelson, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

My wife shoots a Browning XT trap and this weekend we were shooting in 100 degreee temperatures, and she was having trouble closing the gun. The shells were reloads. Remingtons Nitros. You really had to force it shut and most of the time it wouldn't shut and then you had to use a stick to get the shell out. I checked the size of the shell and they were .795. I cleaned it really good and looked for a piece of shot that might have beeen wedged in some place but couldnt find any. Some of the guys there said that it might have been the heat doing it. The barrells were hot enough that you couldnt touch them. Any one got any ideas?

2. ship9002

ship9002 TS Member

you may tray shooting some factory shells through it first to see if it is the gun or the ammo. Next thing may be to look at the ejectors. If the little screws holding them in are coming loose it could cause problems opening/closing the gun. The heat could be the cause, but I haven't had that happen with mine, even when I have burnt my hand on the barrels after shooting doubles.

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

You might check to see if it closes OK right now, if so it might have been the heat. If try some type of gun grease it may relieve the problem.

Bob Lawless

4. beaker100

beaker100 Member

hi kevin56, in this heat make sure you are getting enough lube on the gun when you assemble it. i like grease as i think it stays in place better under sever conditions. doug hubbart

5. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Did it close hard empty as well as loaded? If so you might want to look real close and see if the area the fore arm iron runs is gaulded. If it only closed hard only when loaded with the reloads check and see if the primers are high.

6. beaker100

beaker100 Member

another idea, if it is hard to close with or without shells in the chamber look under the ejectors for foreign objects. you might see scraping on the breech face also if something is caught under one or both of the ejectors. doug hubbart

7. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had this happen to me and found a piece of lead shot so thin stuck behind the ejector. I had to get it off with a razor blade..

8. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I agree with grunt. Try closing your gun very slowly with an empty chamber. If it dosen't snap close, with the tang in it's usual position, there is probably some little piece of crud under the extractor. I've seen it on a friends gun. There was a piece of lead, and it blended in perfectly with the metal until I scratched it away with the tip of a knife.

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I really don't think it is the heat. Maybe a broken bottom firing pin or return spring???

Wayne

10. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

What Doug and Grunt said. The heat only expands the barrel, not shinks it. A proper shell should go into a hot barrel with more clearance than into a cold barrel. If no shot or crud under the extractor I would bet on ammo not properly sized (resized). Marc

11. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

I vote for Grunt's suggestion. That happened once to me also. Shot had leaked out of a reload and a couple had lodged behind the ejector.....
    Mike

12. TjayE

TjayE Member

You guys are forgetting that KEVIN56 said he had to use a stick to knock out the spent shells. I agree with "luvtrapguns" the shells are not properly resized. Tom

13. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

As suggested, you may find a piece of shot wedged between the ejector and mono block, or it may not be shot but unspent powder or hull residue built up on the botton side of the ejectors. This is a common problem with many guns especially when paper shells are used and often over looked in the cleaning process. The way to check this is by closing the gun unloaded. If it closes normally it's not likely the problem, if there's any resistance take a small knife blade and scrape the underside of the ejectors, this should be part of the routine cleaning for all guns always.

On some guns when build up occurs it forces the ejector out of alignment and pushes against the hull causing hull deformation which in turn binds the hull causing it to to stick.

Many Perazzi Tm's have broken ejectors because of residue build up as it takes very close inspection to catch the problem.

Surfer

14. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Kevin56 you need to tell us what you found so I can show everyone I was right. :)

15. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

you put in shells with leaky shot/hole in crimp,and a pellet will get in there eventually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.