1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Cleaning

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Franktri, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franktri

Franktri Member

I shoot one to two times a week and, sometimes, I get lazy and don't clean my gun every time I shoot. How little is not enough? How much is too much?

2. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Warm gun barrels attract moisture. You should clean the barrel of deposits of water, plastic, powder and lead each time you shoot.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

rick979- I thought water condensed on things that were cooler than the air like a glass of iced tea instead of warm things like a cup of coffee.

Pat Ireland

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I had a Browning XT barrel develop pitting in the bore over a one week period the first time I didn't clean it after shooting. Since I bought the gun from Joel Etchen, I called him to get his input on the condition. He indicated that he had seen it before and even went so far as to describe to ME, over the phone, exactly where the pitting was in the bore.

His explanation was that soot from unburned powder absorbs moisture from the air, especially on warm humid days. Plastic from the wads laid down over the soot trapped the moisture against the metal and corrosion began. There is always soot and plastic deposited in the bore even when it's not in thick visible layers.

MK

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

I shoot about 15,000 rounds a year and clean every 3 months or so.

I have never had rust in the bores.

Don Verna

6. dhip

dhip Active Member

I try to clean mine no later than next day after a shoot.

In relation to this thread,I've read about plastic build up in ports. Never had any until this weekend.Had my first experience this past weekend at my first registered shoot.Is plastic buildup related to continuous use,such as a registered shoot because you shoot basicly 100 straight without time in between for gun to cool abit.I've shot 100 before at local club but usually different squads and a small amount of time between shoots. And have never had plastic buildup until this weekend. Temps were in 80's and low 90's if that could of added to problem also.Used Estate 1 ounce for 16's anf Gun clubs for handicap,don't ask for scores,couldn't of been worse.New to this game and just stunk up the place.I'll just say in the 70's,only surprise was I did better in handicap than on 16's.

Doug H.

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

And you wonder why I love those Mod 12 nickle steel barrels!

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Being a rather lazy person by nature, I run a bore snake through my barrels a couple times after each time I shoot. I carry a soft cloth impregnated with Scotts Liquid Gold furniture polish and I use that to give the complete gun a quick wipe down before I case it. Never had a rust problem in over 30 years. Takes me less time to do it than it took to write this..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Every now and then I feel guilty for neglecting my trap gun and I give it a good cleaning. Usually it takes about 2-3K rounds to get the guilt built up to this level. I also live & shoot in a dry climate and don't have rusting problems. I were to shoot in a freak rain event or a sand storm, I would clean the gun that day.

To answer your question, not enough is when the gun is having functioning problems or is rusting because you didn't clean it. Too much is when you actually begin to wear the gun out from cleaning it. (probably never happens)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.