1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GUN CLEANING

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WWB, Nov 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WWB

WWB Member

WHEW!!!!
    Whoever the guy was who suggested using "Electrical Contact Cleaner" for 1/3 the price of everything else sure knew what He was talking about. Best tip in a long time.
    Willie

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

That was me Willie. It is awesome stuff huh. It just boils the plastic and carbon out

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Details please!

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Yeah cuban, what do you know that we don't know??? Bulge.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Every brand of aerosol contact cleaner I've seen (CRC, Permatex, Loc-Tite, Zep) are at least as expensive (or pricier) than the same amount of Shooter's Choice.

MK

6. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

if you use contact cleaners and brake cleaners you better be following with the best lubes you can find. watch contact cleaners around anything plastic, some will attack it (stocks, sites, pistol grip caps etc.). i realize it's not being used for those areas but the potential is there to get it on them. i'm an industrial electrician and wouldn't use it on my guns. maybe brake cleaner on my choke tubes taken out of the gun. all contact cleaners are not created equal, some leave behind a residue. too many good, time proven products out there. read the msds sheets on some of the industrial cleaners to be safe. good luck, it works but just be careful with that stuff. i've seen the effects in the industrial setting.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

what I use is CRC electical contact cleaner ( smells a lot like carb or brake cleaner and is in areosol can) I pay about $5 + for it. Just a little spray in a choke tune or gas piston is all thats needed. It melts wad buildup better than anything I have ever used and I have been cleaning for over 50 years. I have never been able to get my Beretta gas piston clean until now. Spray it in, let it sit a minute and blow it out with my compressor. It does leave the metal very dry so a coating of WD or whatecver is needed to finish. It actually curles the plastic in the choke tube and it just easily wipes out. Thats my story and I am sticking to it. I am a believer. Spanky gives good advice. It leaves the finish very dry and would harm the wood. I only use it on hard to clean parts ( bolt, gas piston, choke tubes) Thats about all I need it for

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Yeah, it's great stuff. Use it outside and don't breathe the vapors. Keep it off anything plastic or wood that you don't want to ruin.

9. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

cuban, i'll agree 100% with those beretta pistons. i soak mine and have a spare to use between my urika trap and sporting autos. i think if a guy is going to do some disassembly he'll probably be somewhat ok but, i'd never let loose with a can of contact cleaner when the gun is assembled. cleaners and lubes out there are endless. everyone finds the right choice for themself.

i'm glad we agree about the drying out and big potentiol for rust. IT WILL RUST STEEL, BLUED OR ANY COATED STEEL. this would be my main concern. and any guys that are going to use the contact cleaner follow with a good lube. i like kroil, have used it for years. i'll lay it out there that i like super lube for my hindge area also, been using it for years. for choke tube threads i've been using permatex anti seize 133a that is a silver color. 10 guys will use 10 different things. i guess when it comes to cleaning it's better to do something vs. doing nothing.

10. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I sprayed some in my new CG receiver last night.. held it down so it would run out onto the ground.. after it was clean I raised it up to inspect it and some ran out onto the stock in a couple of places... took the new shiny finish right off the stock.. where it ran out...

11. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Acetone is the solvent in these cleaners plus tolulene. Keep it off of non-metal surfaces and all will be well. The plastic residue in barrels will melt and string out the end the barrel. Swab out and use oil after.

Doc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.