1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gun cleaning after trap shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bens gun, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bens gun

Bens gun TS Member

Just got a mx8 its had two boxes of shells fired through it.It was used as a backup gun, and the guy has not shot it for the past three years. I would like to know , whats recommended after shooting two or three rounds of trap, What would be step by step proced. Thanks for your help!! Ben

2. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

when its cold out make sure you let it warm back up to room temp then wipe it down with a oily rag and runs bore snake or swab with oil down the bore. Winter is the worst time they condensate like a Bi&%H.

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Leave it in the case until room temperature, stops condensation

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

"Leave it in the case until room temperature, stops condensation"

Never heard that before. I'll give it a try.

BTW - I wipe down the outside. Unless it has been in the rain, I do nothing else. So far, so good.

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

I use a RIG pad (sheepskin pad) Treated with RIG. After I get done shooting I do a good wipedown all over the broken down gun (stock and forearm included)and pull a bore snake with CLP through the bores. When I get home I open the cases and set the guns on the shelf. The next day I do a good cleaning (make sure to get off all the old grease), punch the bore with CLP until clean patches appear and wipe down again with the RIG pad. I don't reapply grease or oil until I get ready to shoot the next time.

--- Chip King ---

6. pdq

pdq Member

Nothing different about that gun. "Shoot zeee gun, you clean zeee gun". Run a bore snake once or twice to get the barrel(s) mirror bright, then a wooley bugger sprayed with lube. Clean all parts, then a thin film of grease on all contact points. Reassemble,go over the exterior with a Rem-Lube wipe. Quick and easy, the key is to do it every time often. If I shoot the gun Saturday and/or Sunday, cleaning it is part of Sunday afternoon.

Pete

7. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I believe that condensation is actually more likely to form on guns in the July/August timeframe than in the winter. JMO.

Jon Reitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.