1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun cases, recommendation for air transport

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ffwildcat, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Anybody have a recommendation for a gun case for air transport?

I'm looking at Storm and they seem to fit the bill pretty well. Anything else out there before I drop the gavel.

TIA

2. southpark

southpark TS Member

My Americase made it through unscathed, but it sure is freaking heavy with two guns in it.

3. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Check out the link above. I have a 2 gun 3 barrel case since 97 and a ton of air miles on it now. It works very well and is about 3 pounds lighter than the 2 gun Americase. Paul is the best to deal with. Prices are alot less than Americase and the quality is ever bit as good if not better. Paul is a regular on this site and a darn good shooter too.

CHEERS

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I own a Browning Travel Vault/Pelican Case (Takedown version) and am a big fan. Its not a looker or lightweight, but allegedly a "tank" can drive over it (supposedly used by Navy SEALS), it has a full-length o-ring seal + purge valve. You cut the interior foam to fit your firearm(s).

They make a full-length case for 2-guns - all incorporate wheels and pull handle - built like a brick $hit-house!

I travel with mine and it has held up very well for years, but best of all my guns arrive in perfect condition!

Jay Spitz

5. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Warwick Gun case, Cabela's brake down aluminum case. All lock and are sound cases.

6. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Warwick aluminum is the best if you want something the airline monkeys can't break. Todd

7. jester-the-molester

jester-the-molester TS Member

From what I've heard, the Warwick's get over 50 lbs. when you place 2 guns in it. This typically causes you additional charges from the airlines.

I vote for the Browning Travel Vault in Orange. Why orange? Cause you can spot it a mile away if some one tris to run off with it.

8. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I looked at the Cabela's take down case and was impressed with the price and construction. The bad news is that it weighs forty some pounds empty and most airlines have dropped their limit to 50#. Makes it kind of tough to pack two trap guns in it and still avoid overweight charges.

Back when the limits were 70 pounds, I had americase build me a case that would hold two John Halls and a couple of shooting bags. It was a large trunk style case. They estimated that it would weigh 38# when I bought it. It actually weighs 69 pound empty and was the biggest waste of $500.00 I can remember.

Good luck and pay attention to the weight.

Bob

9. flinter58

flinter58 TS Member

Starlight Cases - period! www.starlightcases.com

10. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

I have an Americase for the K gun. I have 4 Kalispells for my Brownings. The Americase is nicer to look at, but the Kalispells have been through baggage handling several times without incident. Nosler supplies them with the Nosler custom rifle. I have also used some of the better quality plastic cases (Doscocil) on numerous hunting trips and they survived the airlines with no problems. They are also much lighter and cheaper!

11. Trucido

Trucido TS Member

Starlight cases look very similar to Pelican cases, except for the wheels being attachable.

I wouldn't mind a Pelican case in Orange...that would be pretty slick - but it looks like Pelican only makes them in Black, OD and tan. Starlight does the same ('chocolate' too). I actually found an Orange 1750 case at www.all-pelican-cases-4-less.com, which also has pretty good prices...

Anyway - I like pelican cases...used them for my photography equipment and it is amazing stuff.

12. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

I have one of these cases. Not real pretty, but why buy a $400 case only to have the airline baggage gorillas to drag it behind the baggage cart. Plenty big, plenty strong. Has the REAL clasps that you can put actual full size padlocks on. Not only that, it doesn't scream GUN INSIDE. Put a 'Gibson Guitars' or a 'Perkin Elmer' sticker on it and it looks like some other kind of case.

13. furface

furface Member

My Cabela's Flight-Proof breakdown case weighs 29# empty holds 2 guns and is almost bullet proof for $149. Handled the flight to SWG perfectly. Joe

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I am sold on my Browning/Pelican Travel Vault...I've been usinf it for over a decade and it has been everythingproof...I've even washed it off in the carwash after dusty ride in my toolbox, with my guns in it...no water got in...wish mine had the wheels though....and I have a 52" Kalispell 2 gun case that has been through the airline baggage handling system on a trip to the YO Ranch in Texas carrying a pals' hunting rifles....and it's for sale to anyone in Canada who could use it. C$150...you pay the shipping.

Ron Burr

15. Trucido

Trucido TS Member

perazzitms: you have a case from: http://www.ziegeleng.com/pg3.htm? Those are EXACTLY what I expect a gun-case to look like. We almost had our metal case stolen with our guns from an airport last winter because someone obviously thought it was guns...

I think I'm going to get a Pelican 1750 myself. I was thinking about getting a bright orange one...but I don't think its worth all the annoyance of carrying around a giant orange box, as compared to just carrying a black case. Besides...it doesn't look too much like a gun-case (not stainless steel and doesn't have a picture of a sheep on the side), so I am not too worried about it being stolen.

Anyone have any opinions on starlight vs pelican? I'd not heard of starlight before now and like pelican stuff...but I would go for starlight if they offer some major advantage...

Thanks - this is a very informative thread! I had completely forgotten that pelican makes gun cases and was planning on buying a Stainless Steel case!

16. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Crysophylos, I carry 2 receivers and 3 barrels in my Warwick and never had to pay over weight. As a matter of fact they never ever weighed it in all the years i have flying with it. I check it in at the ticket counter, TSA agent picks it up and inspects and it goes to cargo.

CHEERS

17. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

okay folks - all good recommendations, thanks to everybody.

i'm still thinking the storm 3100 is the way to go, nobody compelled me to go in a different direction. the storm is 20lbs empty and absolutely indestructable. i've seen one first hand and it will accomodate two guns no problem, or a combo including all the accessories.

thanks again. good info.

18. southpark

southpark TS Member

I almost forgot, I've got this one for a special rifle I have. I don't know who makes it, but it is bad arse.

19. southpark

southpark TS Member

20. southpark

southpark TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.