Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gun Case - Warwick locks?

841 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Pocatello 
#1 ·
The Warwick cases look nice and a lot less expensive than the Americases. One question I have is the locking mechanism on the Warwicks. Anyone have any experience with the locks on Warwicks? Plan to use to travel by air, so I suspect that locks are an issue.

#2 ·
I have a number of Warwick caes and I'm glad to have them. I have never trusted those kind of looks. I made my own locking system for when I travel by land or air. The cheap way would to get a cable or chain and put it through the handle and lock it. My system I used stainless steel and a well made high grade lock. They will have to work on it hard to get into the case.

#4 ·
Most external locks (exposed parts), including those on the Warwick, can be opened easily with a decent sized screwdriver with 2 twists of the wrist, but it has always puzzled me why anyone would be concerned about the locks on something that can be slipped into a duffle bag or under a coat and just carried away unopened.

My only concern with gun case locks is that they don't come open accidentally and spill the contents on the runway apron or the parking lot, and a safety cable will prevent that. Once the gun is inspected and locked at check-in, it won't be opened again by airline personnel anyway.

Morgan

#6 ·
It is a fact that I can open almost any guncase with a fair sized screwdriver,,, however,, mine are no worse than any others. Actually,, 5 out of 6 of the cases I build have loop over style latches,, better than the little square shiny ones on my single,,, which is the same latch that Americase uses.

You need to be careful about the cable lock around the handle,,, T.S.A. reps can open that case ANYTIME they want and if necessary they will just bust it open!! I have fixed more than you would believe for the same problem.
Thanks,,,,Paul @ warwick case co.

#9 ·
I have two Warwick cases and have flown with one of them to the SW Grand at San Antonio for the past four or five years, and also to Spokane. The first time I used frequent flier miles for my ticket, so it was routed Pocatello to Salt Lake City to Atlanta to Houston to Dallas to San Antonio on the way out, with three plane changes, and San Antonio to Dallas to SLC to Pocatello on the way back with two plane changes. All this is to say that there was a lot of baggage handling on that first trip, with at least one very tight connection to another terminal (ATL). On that trip one of the locks opened, but was not damaged, and the second held. While I was at San Antonio I met Paul near the practice traps, and asked him to take a look at the locks. He did and "fixed" it, but the same thing happened on the way home. Since then, after TSA inspects the gun, I ask them to tape each lock closed with their TSA tape. This serves two purposes - it shows other TSA personnel on route that the case has already been inspected and passed, and it has kept the lock closed since. It works for me and is a cheap fix. Other than that I've never had a problem with either case, and they do a good job for me. Both cases were bought used from parties on TS.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.