1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun buy-back question...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jeff P, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I've been wondering this for quite a few years, since the city I was living in had a buy back in the 90s.

If there's a gun buy back going on, would anything prevent a guy from going to it, standing out front on the public sidewalk and asking people if you can see what they're carrying in to sell?

Most of the time they're only offering $50 or $100...all it would take is one or two 'nice' guns to come in to make it a really profitable day.

Obviously you could have problems if you bought a gun that was involved in a crime or stolen. But limiting 'who' you deal with could lessen that issue, as could limiting what you bought. Don't buy any sawed off shotguns, for example...

I just have nightmares of Browning BSS's or Winchester 101s or Kimber 45s or even nicer guns going in there and not coming out.

so why couldn't you stand there and offer $200 for nicer guns?

2. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I would guess it would depend on where you where and who was running the buy back. I would expect if the local police were doing the buying they might run you off. Depends on the local attitudes and the situation. Some of these folks turning them in have no clue about guns, so maybe body armor would be a good idea.

This reminds me of a shameless local fellow who would camp out in the parking lot of a pawn shop that bought guns. He would wait for widow women to bring in old guns and offer them low ball cash, no paperwork, on the spot. Then brag to his pals about the "deals."

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Supposed to be a free country......aint it?

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

When Obamas stooge gets done writing the gun bill you wont be able to buy one from an individual without a back ground check

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It's been done....

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I went to a gun buy back and stood on the PUBLIC SIDEWALK. I did inform the people that at time did have somethings that were worth more then they were offering. The buy back was at a church and was started by the church. The minister came out and came up to me and ORDERED ME off his property. I was very polite and informed him that I was on a public sidewalk. He yelled at me some more and then went inside. I later heard he ORDERED the cops who were helping the buy back to arrest me and get me off his property. They looked at him and said "there is nothing we can do. He's on the public sidewalk and he's done nothing wrong". Boy was he mad.

I did find out that once the guns were bought the church can do as they please with them. If they decide to give them to the cops or police dept they now can do as they please with them. In other words if you wanted to take one or some home go to it. Not all are distroyed.

You also have to look at the local gun laws and how are the cops going to act if you buy some. Just feel them out and be careful.

To go alittle farther with the buy back gun story it turned out that the minister lived down the road from me. LOL. Anyway on a AM radio station they had a talk show on the gun buy back. It was an hour long and a friend called ma about it. I listed to the last 45 min. I then after 5 min called the minister and told him to listen to it. 95% or more of the people called the gun buy back a joke. All they were doing was disarming the public and putting smiles on the crooks faces. After the talk show ended I called him back and I went from HEY YOU to Mr so and so. LOL. He got a ear full from the talk show and never tried to do another one. He's also still a prick in the area. No one likes him in other words.

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

When I was in college I sold SKS rifles for 100.00 to the gun buy back people. I would buy them for 59.00 and sell them for 100.00. There was a time when 40.00 made all the diffrence! I think I sold them 6 of them.

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Start your own buy back program.

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

there ya go!!

need a catchy name though!!

"BY-Dems Buy Back"

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Muskrat, looks who's talking. You shouldn't throw rocks when in a glass house. People will throw them back.

11. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

If you interferred with a police buy back,I think you could be arrested?
    Clyde

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.