1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gun broker.com

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ramen39, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ramen39

ramen39 Member

Anyone here ever bought anything on gunbroker.com? I recently bought A K-22 Smith and Wesson revolver from A Frank Connelley in Waterford NY. He described it as 98 percent with A target trigger and hammer. It doesn't have A target trigger or hammer and 2 knowledgeable dealers rated it at no more than 80%. I'm not going to spend more money by sending it back. He hasn't answered my emails anyway. He was rated A+ on gunbroker. There was A no inspection posted too. Guess I just learned A lesson. No more buying on gunbroker for me.

2. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

39-- I discontinued doing business on Gunbroker after getting burned by a dishonest seller who described the guns I bought as "collector grade" when in fact they had been refinished. I was lead around in a circle by Gunbroker for 9 months after I filed a claim under their so-called "buyers protection program". When it became obvious to them that I was not going to go away, Gunbroker told me to go pound sand.

The worst part of this was that Gunbroker offered to allow me to list and sell the guns in question on their website and they would waive any fees....In other words, push the problem down the road onto some other unsuspecting buyer.

I have far more integrity than that (and obviously more than Gunbroker}.

It is my experience that the so-called "Buyer Protection Program" offered by Gunbroker is nothing more than window dressing for new buyers and offers no protection at all. Furthermore, I believe that it is Buyer Beware on Gunbroker
    based on what I encountered after submiting a legitimate claim for fraud.

3. quartering

quartering Active Member

i've never had a problem. seems like when you were talking with him on the phone you would have discovered it didn't have the target features or the 98% finish. seems like you would have addressed the no return policy then too.

4. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I have bought several guns on gunbroker and have been very happy with each transaction.

Oscar

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I just sold this High Standard "Safe Queen" on Gunbroker.com for $800. The buyer is very satisfied.

The Website URL link above is my listing on TS.com. The photos are the same as on Gunbroker.com.

If you cannot get good quality photos don't buy.

Jim Skeel

[​IMG]

6. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I don't think that is a problem with GunBroker...

The "A" rating is based on feedback from other transactions.

Red flags fly with me when "no inspection period" is in add.

Even lousy pictures would show a 98% gun to an 80% gun.....

Sorry, just my quick overview.

SW

7. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Have almost 100 buys on gunbroker with no problems. Just like any site including here you MUST ask...ask...ask..then call and talk then ask somemore. Always make sure. Not saying that will stop what happens but will surely help.
    Chris

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Way too many listings with no bid. HOwever, that's a good way to find out what a gun is NOT worth, LOL

I like to use it for checking value, You can see what people are willing to pay, If you can find your model with bids placed.

HM

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My GunBroker transaction number is approaching two dozen and will hopefully reach that point at noon today when my proxy bid wins the auction for a rifle I'd like to have. I've had two minor disappointments and both were taken care of by the sellers as soon as I reported the problems to them. One S&W revolver had clones of S&W target stocks on it instead of the originals and the seller refunded $85 to me immediately. The other was another S&W that had been treated to some not-so-good gunsmithing on the double-action sear. In that case, the seller was obligated to do nothing but paid my gunsmith's $65 charge to replace that sear.

NEVER bid on a gun that doesn't come with a return clause. And ALWAYS ask for better photos if the ones in the ad leave questions in your mind. I've made some real buys on there in instances when few others bothered to ask for better photos.

I enjoy doing business on GB. Find me a better gun lover's candy store!

Ed

10. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Always go in with a buyer beware attitude. You have to ask all the pertinant questions, and look at really good detailed pics. If any details are left out in the description, ask. If it doesn't sound right, pass. I have sold around twenty items on gunbroker, and bought a few as well. No problems, except for one guy that modified the trigger on a new AR receiver after receiving it, and then telling me there was a problem after he mucked it up. He wanted some money back, and I said no. I would have gladly taken it back before he screwed with it.

11. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I buy and sell on gbroker. Never yet had a real problem.

Halfmile, when you want to find the value, go into advanced search and look at the closed auctions to see what it actually sold for. Mike.

12. ramen39

ramen39 Member

Lots of good advice from you all. To bad I didn't realize it sooner.

Jim Skeel. I wish I had dealt with someone like you and other honest people. I'm sure most of the sellers are OK.

As I said. Lesson learned. Very good advice from you people that answered this thread.

Ramen39

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ramen - Target hammer and Trigger

It is obvious in a picture if the Smith had a Target Hammer and Trigger- ???????????????????????????????????????????????

Percent condition is relative- there is no absolute but are you saying this guy switched the hammer and trigger from the firearm in the photograph?

That would be fraud wouldnt it?

As a minimum you need to report fraud to gunbroker- there is no doubt about that- switching somethiing from the photograph to what you received

Regards from Iowa

Gene

14. jjv1234

jjv1234 Member

I think part of the problem is that people do not really understand the "condition rating scale". Is seems that almost every gun you see is rated at 98% or 95%+. How many guns really meet this standard?

To me a 98% gun means that there might be a fingerprint on the barrel and otherwise virtually perfect. A 95% gun might mean that is was test-fired, then cleaned and put back in the case. Yet, almost every auction for a used gun has these ratings - impossible. I am not sure if it is dishonesty or just a poor understanding of what a truly 95%+ gun really is.

15. d endicott

d endicott Member

Did you keep a pic of the original post....It is hard to prove fraud on Gun Broker ...I had a problem and it took me 3 months to get it solved, with no help from Gun Broker. Gun Broker is out for it's self...best deal with the seller

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

A buyer needs to be somewhat savy or he can get screwed anywhere, not just GB. no good photos, no return policy, no or little or some bad feedback, no bids from me.

17. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

You have to be REALLY careful on Gunbroker. It's not that there are some people on there who are deliberately misrepresenting their guns (there are a few of them too), but I feel that a lot of people just don't know how to really rate a guns condition and are simply ignorant on the subject. I hate reading stuff like "Mint condition", "Like new" or "100% condition".

18. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I buy and sell on Gunbroker and always stipulate no returns. I found out the hard way when someone got "buyer's remorse" and sent one back. Since I am not a dealer, his dealer would not return the gun to me but had to send it to my dealer. Here we go with a $40 fee to get it in my name again....If I were an FFL I would not be concerned. The stuff I sell is always accurately or even under described.

19. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I am by no means calling you dishonest, Claybrdr, but I fell for that same story once on a set of "handmade" 1911 grip panels on eBay. I wanted to buy them but saw the "no returns" stipulation in the item description, so I emailed the seller. He told me all about how when he accepted returns, one item was returned damaged so he dropped that policy. Against my better judgement and what I have advised in my column, I took him at his word. The goods below are what arrived. I think you'll agree that the only hands that made them belonged to a junior high wood shop student having a bad day.

[​IMG]

I went through a lengthy and at times heated exchange with him and finally told him that I would post them for sale on eBay, giving credit to him for their fabrication. He instantly refunded the purchase price, his shipping charges and eight dollars extra to cover mine.

Now, I don't care HOW much I might want something, no returns - no bids.

Ed

20. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I've have done quite a few transactions on GB and thankfully, never a problem....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.