1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Brands by % at the Grand?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chastaj, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chastaj

chastaj Member

Of the 2500+ participants at the Grand what % of each gun brand are used? I am new to Trap Shooting and was wondering what the "majority" use?

2. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

All K, P, or L guns from what you may hear on here. I may have left one out. Or that is the sentiment it seems. If you don't have one of these you'll never make it to the 27 so start saving now

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I'd say that young fellow who won the $100K has a pretty good start on his career with a Citori....will be interesting to see what he's shooting in 5 years...

4. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Crazy thing is, probably won't be a Citori, unless he is shooting for Browning.

5. chastaj

chastaj Member

Why is it so much different today that a person needs a P, K, or L gun? My father, grand father and neighbor all made it to the 27 shooting BT-99's with 32in barrels and fixed chokes. Wasn't Leo,Campbell,Marshall or other big namers already punched to the fence before P, K or L guns became the rage? I know the long term quality is there. But for the $ I could buy a new Citori every 6 months have a fresh gun vs the cost of these others.

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You asked a question and they answered it, if you knew the answer why ask the question ... Shoot what ever gun you can afford ... Happy New Year ...
    WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. chastaj

chastaj Member

I asked it because I feel several people are being harsh on the boy that won the $100K just because he shot a Browning. This forum has way to many people tring to justify the $ they spend on guns vs facing the fact that its 90%+ Shooter. Sorry if I sound sarcastic. Look forward to seeing several of you P, K & L gun shooters at the 27 with by Browning.

8. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

You will have a couple of guys who will be on here soon to tell you how much better they shoot since th ey got their new high dollar trap gun! Get ready! Jack

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Did you notice the other guns the people where shooting against that young man. Combined total would have been close to the $100,000 they where shooting for. He walks up to the line, everyone thinks, this guy can't win. He feels less pressure, because he is not supposed to win. My point is its not the gun, if it goes bang. Price only matters for prestige. Yes there may be SOME merit as to durability, but that is so small as to not make a difference. If you service the Brownings, like the expensive gun companies recommend, they will last just as long. I would think that next year he will be back with another Citori, if he does not catch the trapshooters plague. If Browning was smart they would supply him with a very nice gold inlayed version, because you know the focus is going to be on him now. That would be very cheap advertising.

10. chastaj

chastaj Member

Thank you Stl Flyn. That is my point exactly. My main questions still never got answered. Are there several other "Average Joes" that do not shoot P, L, or K guns at the Grand? My belief is that if a person took an actual count there would be just as many Brownings as any other brand there. And for the record my average increased 2% when I switched from P gun to a Browning Cynergy.

11. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

My back-up gun is a 1990 Citori Trap Grade I. I shoot it just as well as my K-gun. The Citori is unaltered, straight out of the box. Nothing adjustable. The K-gun has adjustable everything. If you shoot to a very high average. You should be able to shoot any gun well, just by technique and focus alone. IMO. Jon

12. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Drive what you want and what you can afford. Though I can afford to drive a Porsche SUV and an Ashton Martin, I choose to drive a Jeep and an Infiniti.

Shoot what you want and what you want to afford. Though I can afford a 20K SG, I choose to shoot a 4K gun.

What people need, want and can afford are completely different issues, and it should really matter only to them -- and shotguns are no different. There is no correlation and everything is a pesonal personal choice. At my club, several of the fellas with a 20K guns drive 10K cars.

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Silvershooter seems so right on. Heck, I am a very mediocre shooter, but shoot high grade "serious" guns. However, my assortment of "serious" guns all came to me second hand at very favorable prices. This is So-Cal, afterall, where there are some well-heeled individuals that are fickle and often trade off guns for way less than half of what they initially paid. often impulsively.

My use of a high grade gun, given that I shoot infrequently, is, I suppose, analagous to the well-heeled who uses the most expensive SLR camera available and only takes snapshots of say, family on Christmas. The joy of using a nice piece of equipment. This was more clear during the non-digital days, when Hasselblads and Leicas etc. were used to take pictures of the kids in front of the Christmas tree as an example. The camera owner loved the experience of the feel of precision and beauty of the machine in his or her hands. That's myself shooting any of a number of guns that retail for over 7 grand.

14. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

chastaj,

Interesting fishing expedition here. If you have an average, then you are obviously not THAT new to the sport. And if you own or have owned a Perazzi, then you also know a thing or two about shooting sports. Perhaps enough to answer your own question? What is the intent of your post? To get a data point or to make some kind of point?

You have probably seen a sample distribution of guns at your local club. If you have gone to larger shoots, or visited different clubs, that would give you the feel for how many of each type of gun are shot. Having not attended the Grand myself, I would not think that the distribution of guns would not be any different there than at any other large shoot. Just more of them.

There do seem to be more Perazzis on the west coast and more Kreighoffs back east. Might have to do with the proximity to the importers.

-Aaron Valdes
    San Diego, Ca.

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

St flyn, let me understand your thinking. 8 or 9 shooters who have already demonstrated their skill by winning individual Championship handicap events, several of them giving up substantial yardage, and you think they overlooked the young man? Lol sure....

16. Blaser F3

Blaser F3 TS Member

My 13 year old son just got back from the range and he just got a blaser F3 combo and this was his second time shooting it and he shot a 98 in handicap from the 25 and a 99 in single and he told me it was the gun so people can believe what ever they want you just have to find a gun that fits you.

17. ounce-n-3/8s

ounce-n-3/8s TS Member

This was an odd post. Why don't people just make a statement...rather than asking a question they don't want to hear the answer to so they can argue? God people are weird.

If you you truly want to know the answer (and aren't just looking to get on a soap box)........here it is: It doesn't make a difference in what you shoot as long as it fits you, has a decent trigger, your'e consistant and in control. It's just that simple. A competitor will win with anything; if he wants it bad enough.

Shane

18. chastaj

chastaj Member

I did ask a simple question and was looking for a % breakdown by brand. Then others started making those of us who can not afford a P, K or L gun feel sub par Yes I shot a P gun, but had to sell it because of the economy and to put food on the table for my family. Yes I got a real good deal on the Browning, but this tread took a turn as to prefered brand (Which I didnt ask) I simply wanted to know % of each. Nothing more nothing less didnt need info so I could turn it around, simply out of curiosity on which manufacturer sells the most trap guns would have probably been a better way to ask.

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Where do you think we have this percentage stored? Do you think they take a poll at the registration desk? Do they ask you every shoot you attend? I was too busy shooting at the Grand to worry about what my neighbor was shooting nor did i care.

20. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

But Jack, don't you play the Martin much better than you did the old Stella Harmony? .......grin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.