1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GUN BLOWUPS again?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by moore5833, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

A friend at our club told my about a potential blowup that happend to him. He purchased a box of brand name target loads from the club and went out to shoot. On shot number 14 he opened his gun,and only the brass remained,the hull was gone. He took a look down the barrel-and it appeared clear, but he wasn't quite sure. On second look the hull was stuck at the forcing cone and was very hard to see(night shoot), if he didn't slow down and look twice it might have turned out badly. It took him several hours to get that hull out-but he finally did. I think if he shot again with that hull in the barrel,his $4000.00 trap gun would have blown up also. Its not always the guns fault!!

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Had that happen with a Federal "Smoothie" reload in a K-80. The round sounded funny, so I checked the bore. Never shot another Federal Hull after that. Had to cut a wood dowel to beat it out.

3. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

it was a fed top gun

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Some lots of their hulls have the habit of coming apart. HMB

5. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

That was very common with the paper Federals if loaded more than 1 or 2 times. I think it may not be hard to understand how someone might get a obstruction in the barrel and not even see it, especially when the hull separates from the case.

How many times have you heard that all eyes should be on each target, so the 4 squad memebers not shooting can help observe the person that is, to make sure his target is counted as dead, in case of a small chip only, that the score keeper does not see? Your standing there, after your shot, open your gun and hear the ejecter click and then the hear the case hit the ground. Maybe sometimes the shooter hears only the case head, but does not know it.

While is is considered proper etiquette, to watch all targets, my eyes are on the shell coming out the the gun and looking for daylight in the barrel.

6. crew

crew TS Member

This happened to a friend yesterday. It was a smooth hull 1st loading it came
    off at the base,and was really hard to get out ,you could almost look down the barrel and not see it just looked like a ring. Mine are going out.

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

hell, if you believe some of the "experts" on this site, just shoot it out..it can't blow up.

Kudos to those of you who check the bore after anything that sounds anything other than "normal". I repeat, anyone who would shoot a gun with anything other than air in the bore is an idiot.

8. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

This was not a reload-It was brand new out of the box!!

9. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

No one is doubting you. Bad new shells turn up from time to time.

10. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

This happened at our range many years ago with Danmark shells which I no long see on the market . Again , the shooter just happened to look down the barrel which he had never done before and the shell didn`t sound any different that any others that time . I never look down my barrel but I do collect every shell I shoot since I reload them all .

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Just thank God, you were not usi ng an auto-loader & shooting doubles !!!

Phil Berkowitz

12. Baber

Baber TS Member

When I saw this video I have come to believe that there is something more to all these blow ups that shell problems.

TB

13. 870

870 Well-Known Member

TB:

I agree, between that and Bowen's work I have reservations. One thing missing is a similar test on a monoblock gun. Maybe that has something to do with it? Problem is that is a more expensive test!

14. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

The 870 was able to open and get rid of the pressure. A single or dbl barrel would probably explode with the same experiment. Glenn

15. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I have seen an 870 explode and rip the side of the barrel open with a little mud in the barrel.

16. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Glenn, then why didn't Bowen's single blow up? He did the 20 shell test more then once.

17. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Yes there are "experts" on this site that think obstructions in the barrels can't blow up guns. This despite blown up barrels. I have been there when 2 barrels were ripped in half and have seen a third with a bulge right before the end like a snake that just swallowed a big meal. These accounts of barrels blowing up are not fiction. And it isn't reloads, every case I saw was with factory ammo.

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When a gun blows up examine the damage carefully. If the barrel has a bulge, or the muzzle end looks like a banana peel, or the major damage is confined to the barrel, you can be pretty sure it was caused by a barrel obstruction.

On the other hand, if the chamber is blown apart, the fore end is in pieces, the receiver is damaged beyond repair, and the barrel and rib are some where down range, some thing catastrophic occurred. I believe this type of damage is caused by powder detonation. HMB

19. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

To Rick Backer and all other shooters . It is proper rtiquette to watch your squads hits but it is also good etiquette to pick up your empty hulls. If you eject a shell and put it in your save bag you will see right off thats it's missing the case. Remember someone else has to pick up what you leave behind.
    There is no excuse for that to happen, if you hold the empty in your hand you know if it's all there or not.

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

HMB- Are you sure? How about a barrel getting dented and structurally weakened years prior to the barrel blowing. Cumulative stresses can eventually result in a failure.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.