1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Blowuos/ ported versus non-ported bbls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

OK,,Newbie Doug here again with another question.
    Noticed a couple posts about guns blowing up,and put this question to friend who got me into this Trap shooting .I guess after my TGT 12 question,he decided to tell me to post this question here also.
    question: being the ported barrels are to release the pressure to relieve recoil,is it possible that a shell related only,not barrel blockage,incident of too much pressure that a Ported barrel vs. standard barrel same length and choke constriction would release the pressure before blowing up,,or,,since the barrels ported,would it blow up quicker in the ported area.My friend said the only ported blow up he knows about was because of blockage,NIT shell factor.Just curious,,because if it's true,,than ported barrels could be marketed with a safety improvement factor for sales..
    I shoot a ported browning,,friend shood Silver Seitz(spelling)not ported.
    Sorry if this has been covered before,but not since I've been reading this site.

Doug H.

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I have seen 2 "tear along the dotted line" because whoever did the porting made the holes too close together.

One was a Perazzi, but I don't remember the other.

As far as causing a gun to blow up ... no way!

3. dhip

dhip Active Member

OK,,Newbie Doug here again with another question.
    Noticed a couple posts about guns blowing up,and put this question to friend who got me into this Trap shooting .I guess after my TGT 12 question,he decided to tell me to post this question here also.
    question: being the ported barrels are to release the pressure to relieve recoil,is it possible that a shell related only,not barrel blockage,incident of too much pressure that a Ported barrel vs. standard barrel same length and choke constriction would release the pressure before blowing up,,or,,since the barrels ported,would it blow up quicker in the ported area.My friend said the only ported blow up he knows about was because of blockage,NIT shell factor.Just curious,,because if it's true,,than ported barrels could be marketed with a safety improvement factor for sales..
    I shoot a ported browning,,friend shood Silver Seitz(spelling)not ported.
    Sorry if this has been covered before,but not since I've been reading this site.

Doug H.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I have seen 2 "tear along the dotted line" because whoever did the porting made the holes too close together.

One was a Perazzi, but I don't remember the other.

As far as causing a gun to blow up ... no way!

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I don't have all the facts of what caused this in the picture, I only knew that AA box has nothing to do with what happened, and the Perazzi barrel was backbored and ported.

This is interesting at least.

[​IMG]

Another interesting thing, I have a friend is shooting H/C using a non-ported O/U with a bulge at the same location as the failure in the picture, he shot the gun with the bulge for years, didn't stop him from getting straights from time to time. I have no answers to both cases, but I see his bulged barrel every week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.