1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Blows Up

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jbrucejr, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbrucejr

jbrucejr Member

Look at the story in the link.

Pretty lousy information, but tells what happened.

John

2. aabbenton920@yahoo.com

aabbenton920@yahoo.com TS Member

If anyone actually used 3/8oz of gun powder, that would easily explain the explodion, since that'd be 10x a std load.

3. jbrucejr

jbrucejr Member

Like I said - pretty lousy info.

The link above has a video of a local TV news report from the area.

John

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Considering that a real Skeet shooter shoots only about 25% of his targets in 12 gauge, If Trap shooters offered small gauge events , there would be less gun blowups. But then they would have to grow real stones. LOL, Jeff

5. jbrucejr

jbrucejr Member

bigbore613

For the last 3 years I have been mainly a skeet shooter.

I would have taken that comment as a low blow - - - -

But since I have not grown my real stones yet from my recent move to shoot more trap.......

I did not feel a thing.

( OK - I know that was a joke, and I put this comment here because in my last two or thee weeks on TS I have seen enough "not fun" humor / trolling that I have been and still am considering not spending too much time here)

John

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Having been the brunt of more than a few comments, I like to give it back. With that said , like all of life , your friends are the family you choose. There are many great people to choose from on this site ,many I will never get to meet but freinds all the same. A few bad apples will come along ,get to know which ones to toss. Jeff

7. jbrucejr

jbrucejr Member

bigbore613

I forgot to mention in my comment that I did get a good laugh out of your comment - and I did not consider it out of line at all. I really enjoy a good shot of humor when it is done correctly.

I was referring to other threads I have read.

Should have put in a ROTFLMAO in my reply above.

John

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

One of the world's best skeet shooters, who lives in Murfreesboro Tn, badly damaged his Kolar while shooting Rem 410 factory ammo in a Kolar Tubeset.

The 410 STS factory shell caused enough damage to require replacement of the barrel and small bore tubes. Remington paid the repair bill.

Straight from the horse's mouth, the owner of the shotgun, who does not reload.

I do not have permission to use his name, but I have known him since he was a kid, have pulled many a registered round for his squad, and he is good as gold.

It is possible most Skeet shooters, who shoot doubles, if they reload, may not load their hulls past a point where they should be loaded.

Most tournament shooters use tube guns, and the 20 is often used in the 12 and Doubles events. When I shot Four Gauge Skeet, I shot the 20 as the big gun. There is no need for the 12 on a Skeet field unless that is all you have.

9. jbrucejr

jbrucejr Member

Shooting Coach

That same thought went through my mind. As I said above I shoot more skeet than trap and skeet shooters I know load at 1150fps or so with one ounce, and quite a few do 7/8oz at about 1200fps. These are both low pressure loads.

I have seen a couple of Briley 20ga tubes that cracked around the ejector slots, but they are so thin that this should be expected - I will bet that was the main reason they came out with the new tubes with ring ejectors.

As you said, I shoot a 12 because that is what I have. I was on a tight budget when I started and bought 28ga companion tubes and a loader then the next year got .410 companion tubes and loader. I shoot the 28ga in the 20ga event - it is my highest average.

John

10. antidote

antidote TS Member

Guns don't blow up, trap shooters blow up guns with modifications and poor reloading habits!!!!!!!!!

11. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

i do not understand the need to belittle others ?

i don't care where you live, what you drive, what you shoot, etc. etc.

if you are of good character i will be proud to call you my friend with your permission !

ernie

12. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Quote from article: “I‘ve seen this happen before. People load their own (rounds). Sometimes a malfunction happens and the firearm is blown to pieces,” [RCMP Sgt. Greg ] Woodcox said. “It‘s likely the load caused it.”

“…shotgun was barely a year old and worth $4,000.”

I add:

Sgt. Greg Woodcox has already stepped into the quagmire of speculation, un-writtenly reserved for TS.com. I can’t believe that he missed the opportunity to inform the reader of the Base Wad Migration Theory.

…$4k doesn’t buy much of a K80.

{Seriously, I hope everyone comes out with no more than a scar and a story to tell.}

13. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Was the shooter a certain Mike S. that moved from Minnesota?

14. racer

racer TS Member

Does anyone know what kind of reloader(if reloads)? Dan

15. Hooked

Hooked Member

Gun was a newer Caesar Guerini. Shooter was an off duty RCMP officer and a registered trap shooter.

Brian

16. X73JSA

X73JSA TS Member

17. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Most skeet shooters load down instead of up. I use 13.7 grains of 700X with 7/8 oz of shot on 12ga AA's. I shoot a 410 or 28 ga usually though and have never seen a gun blowup skeet shooting or even tube sets. I don't have a clue how many thousands upon thousands of shots have gone through my tube set. There is no need for hot loads in skeet and hulls last longer when you load down. Jackie B.

18. twopipe

twopipe Member

here's part of the story

19. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

You have to take it for what it is, nothing more or less than a little good natured ribbing between shooters. Sometimes we get way to SERIOUS. BIll

20. traploader

traploader Member

Barry,

Here's what the guy said happened to him. TrapLoader

"Ok well I was the guy that got his leg hurt in the accident in Kelowna. We were practiceing and the fella two posts away ( post 2, I was on post 4) shot and the reciever of his gun blew apart. The shot went downrange and the barrel in in tack. A piece of the side plate lodged into the back of my knee and almost came through the other side. It was sticking out but it didn't get all the way through.

First it was not a double charge and there was not anything in the barrel. Although we are still looking at one other possibilty everything is pointing to a faulty gun. I will let everyone know more once I know more.

I will be ok although it is kinda freaky.

Once I know more I will post something in the "trap shooting forum". I even had the surgeon take pictures of the hole in my leg before the surgery so I may post one of those for fun

It was a good reload no doubt about it. I don't think I should say what make of gun yet. We are still looking at another possible option as to why but when I know more I will post soemthing."

Jacky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

greg woodcox