1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Blows Up!!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Easystreet, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Perazzi Blows Up!!!!

If the basewad came out of one hull and lodged in the barrel, then the shooter should have a hull in his hull pouch with a basewad missing. Did he?

Easystreet

2. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Perazzi Blows Up!!!!

chatbrat stated that he was using new shells, because reloading is now not feasable so he probale let it fly, why keep them if you are not going to reload, and also they were probaly cheaper cases that we reloaders do choose to reload anyway.

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Perazzi Blows Up!!!!

Why let the hulls fly for someone else to have to pick up? I always put the empty hulls in my hull pouch. If they are good reloadable hulls, I put them in my shooting bag after the round is over. If they are cheapo hulls that I don't want, I throw them in the trash barrel after the round is over. Again, why let them fly for someone else to have to pick up? But that's just my way of looking at it. Others may look at it differently.

Easystreet

4. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Perazzi Blows Up!!!!

chatbrat..........I'm glad you fully explained what happened with the obstruction in the barrel. The fact that it was a Perazzi made no difference......the same could happen to ANY gun under similiar circumstances. I'm just glad he wasn't injured!

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

Perazzi Blows Up!!!!

We need more information here. What ammo was was used? Did he save the hull? What barrel mods had been made? Back bored?

TB

6. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Perazzi Blows Up!!!!

Had simular accident with Federal shell in Beretta . Split barrel straight down the top threw the vent rib 35 ft . I figured shell had triple powdercharge Company replace Barrel at no charge to me. Paid shipping and sent some shooting clothing . No one got hurt everyone is happy . Hope your incident ended as same .

Pat Kelley

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Perazzi Blows Up!!!!

"Looks like the base of the hull lodged in the barrel". When did you get to look at the barrel? HMB

8. lc

lc TS Member

Perazzi Blows Up!!!!

When exactly did this happen at Buckhorn? If it is the one that I saw with choke tubes there is more to the story.

9. augiebrot

augiebrot TS Member

Perazzi Blows Up!!!!

chatbrat......
    If as You say you know the victim personally, you owe the readers some first hand information regarding the occurance; when it happned, identify the shell manufacturer, describe the rupture and it's location on the barrel, describe the gun, how many shots were taken before the blowup,what ancillary damage was inflicted on the gun and whether the victim or others were injured, etc....
    Thanks, Augie

10. setter

setter Member

Here's the link to Bruce's thread!

11. bear2

bear2 TS Member

Why let the hulls fly for someone else to have to pick up? I always put the empty hulls in my hull pouch. If they are good reloadable hulls, I put them in my shooting bag after the round is over. If they are cheapo hulls that I don't want, I throw them in the trash barrel after the round is over. Again, why let them fly for someone else to have to pick up? But that's just my way of looking at it. Others may look at it differently.

Easystreet

Easy,
    We have a sign at our club.$3.50 per round OR $4.50 if you don`t pickup you hulls.This took care of the problem of cleaning up after slobs.
    Bear

12. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

You guys are going to put the poor trap boys out of a job picking up all those empties. Jake

13. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

PINK SHELL, Built Like a Winchester? What brand and where were they made?

14. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

Now for the rest of the story! Replace the title of this thread with - Gun DOES NOT BLOW UP!

Just got off the phone with the range manager of BGC in NC. According to reliable sources the gun suffered NO physical damage and has been sent to be repaired.

What is being repaired or replaced is the CHOKE TUBE - looks like the choke was either out of round or had a burr or something. The lip of the choke tube rolled up and that was the extent of the damage according to reliable sources.

I believe the gun was a MT-6 and he was using Fiocchi (purple shell) factory ammo. Absolutely nobody was injured - FYI.

38-01615

15. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Always nice to hear a whole story, but I would add that if a tube loosens and then curls up, you now have at least a partial barrel obstruction and if you don't notice it the next shell fired could be the last straw. I suspect improperly tightened choke tubes have caused gun failures. Bruce Bowen experiments indicate it is not easy to do this with just an overcharge. You need an obstruction to help things along.

16. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

I have a picture of the choke tube, if someone can put it on here I will send it to them. I have looked at the gun and it does have a minimal bulge at the point where the threads would be in the barrel. It split the choke tube from the threaded end all the way to the knurled boss. I would imagine that it would have split all the way had it not been for that reinforcement. The gun had been ported, if that is relevant. I was informed that three very reputable individuals looked at the gun immediately afterward and acknowledged that the tube was in tight, even though split and rolled in 3/16" or so on both edges of the split. The 22nd target was broken and the incident happened on the 23rd. He said it made a whirring noise that went toward the traphouse at the time it happened. He has talked to the shell mfg and they are doing an exam of the gun. They appear to be doing the right thing so far and I would rather not divulge their name. I have a few flats of the same shells, so I am interested in the outcome. As stated if some one can post it I have a picture.

17. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Without reviving that old thread, does anyone know what the outcome was to the H&R by Bruce? Any "reload" ever blow it up?

18. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

Now for the rest of the story! Replace the title of this thread with - Gun DOES NOT BLOW UP!

Just got off the phone with the range manager of BGC in NC. According to reliable sources the gun suffered NO physical damage and has been sent to be repaired.

What is being repaired or replaced is the CHOKE TUBE - looks like the choke was either out of round or had a burr or something. The lip of the choke tube rolled up and that was the extent of the damage according to reliable sources.

I believe the gun was a MT-6 and he was using Fiocchi (purple shell) factory ammo. Absolutely nobody was injured - FYI.

38-01615

19. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Always nice to hear a whole story, but I would add that if a tube loosens and then curls up, you now have at least a partial barrel obstruction and if you don't notice it the next shell fired could be the last straw. I suspect improperly tightened choke tubes have caused gun failures. Bruce Bowen experiments indicate it is not easy to do this with just an overcharge. You need an obstruction to help things along.

20. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

I have a picture of the choke tube, if someone can put it on here I will send it to them. I have looked at the gun and it does have a minimal bulge at the point where the threads would be in the barrel. It split the choke tube from the threaded end all the way to the knurled boss. I would imagine that it would have split all the way had it not been for that reinforcement. The gun had been ported, if that is relevant. I was informed that three very reputable individuals looked at the gun immediately afterward and acknowledged that the tube was in tight, even though split and rolled in 3/16" or so on both edges of the split. The 22nd target was broken and the incident happened on the 23rd. He said it made a whirring noise that went toward the traphouse at the time it happened. He has talked to the shell mfg and they are doing an exam of the gun. They appear to be doing the right thing so far and I would rather not divulge their name. I have a few flats of the same shells, so I am interested in the outcome. As stated if some one can post it I have a picture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gun blows up