1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun blown up with new factory ammo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrskeet410, Sep 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Anybody know of any?

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

There was a reported one blowing up on a skeet field a while back.

3. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I was next to a guy that had a Rem 1100 come apart with factory AA,s. He sent the gun back to Remington and they replaced it. The barrel cracked and a piece came out. No injuries.

4. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

mrs. skeet, excellent question,,,,and while I offer no evidence, I would ask a couple of questions:

Has anyone heard of "factory hunting loads" blowing up? (AA's would not be included) The Golden Pheasant is a pretty powerful load and I would assume with increased pressures.

Does a "hunting" gun have enough rounds throught them to "weaken" its structural integrity?

Should a "hunting" gun be checked from time to time regarding its safety of use?

thanks

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I "heard" of a situation years ago when non-toxic shot first became mandatory for hunting waterfowl. It seems some guy had some factory steel shot loads in his shooting coat and they got wet and had a poor not waterproof crimp and so the steel shot rusted into a solid plug and damaged his shotgun when he used them. Now all steel shot loads have a water proof crimp. I know this is all hearsay but maybe a warning for someone who reloads with steel. I personally am very careful with my hunting loads after hearing about this incident.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

There was a post here about two years or so ago that a WV shooter, possibly the delegate, said a K gun blew up using new AA shells. It was in southern WV or VA, I've forgotten which state? He got a ear full and I haven't seen a post from him again. Hap

7. BigJohn270

BigJohn270 Member

I was shooting sporting clays with a guy that was shooting the Remington 1100 or 11-87 (don't know which one) sporting clays model in 28 ga. He was shooting factory shells. The barrel split for about 4 inches between the end of the choke and the forearm.
    Remington gave him a new barrel.
    Beretta rep was there and got several pictures. I am sure he would not use them to say bad things about Remington....lol

8. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Yes, I saw a 20 ga O/U from a well known company blown up by factory target loads from one of the big three. The gun was blown into 13 separate pieces which could be found. I have not given the names of the gun or shells to avoid conflict.

jim brown

9. TOOLMAKER 251

If you want to add non shotguns, I blew up a 308 win. caliber rifle with factory ammunition. I was slightly injured by a piece of brass in the bridge of my nose. The ammo Mfg. compensated me for rifle damage after everything was shipped (gun, blown shell, with the rest of the unfired ammo)to the them by a call tag. I requested no compensation for injury even thought they wanted me to be checked out, and no shyster whiplash lawyers were involved. It was setteled the old fashion way. P.S. the bullet from the exploding shell printed 4 inch low outside the group.

10. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I would guess that back in the early 80s when Eclipse ammo was around, there were probably severaL Blown-up guns. These shells had no base wads and unless your gun was perfect with no sloppy tolerances you had a good chance of having problems. I blew the forearm off my comp 1 Perazzi as my ejector was broken and there was a space for pressure to escape. Also, at the NY state shoot about 20 or so years ago, A guy blew the barrel off a Browning with new AAs. I was talking to Jim Schultz our Delegate when we heard the KABOOM about 6 trap fields away. The barrel landed at the back of the trap house and luckily the shooter was not badly injured. I never did hear what caused the problem. Larry Evans

11. kolarkim

kolarkim Member

I know of a Ruger red label that had a solder joint failure at the mono block and it just pushed the barrels forward, no broken anything. I am pretty sure (not positive) that he never used reloads as he doesnt know how to reload. KK

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Friend was duck hunting with his fairly new Mossburg 12 ga 3". He bought that gun that summer for the up coming duck season. He uses factory ammo because he hunts with the game warden. He had shot a number of ducks that day and when he was packing up another group of ducks came in and he shot at one. The gun fell apart. The barrel was split on both sides, the receiver was bulged out and some parts were missing. The game department took the gun in and the ammo and could not tell what the problem was. Mossburg has turned a cold shoulder to the hunter and the game department. They want nothing to do with it. He will not be replacing it with another Mossburg and will not be buying any Mossburg products ever.

13. 682LINY

682LINY Member

was at the Pa state,,,or some other shoot a Elysberg,,,,was standing at a vendor looking at a Mec reloader,,,,we all heard a load bang,,,,Beretta 391 blew up....older gentileman,,,shooting factory ammo,,,,a ammo rep and beretta rep were there very quickly,,,,dont know the final outcome,,,,but i still shoot Beretta shotguns and Winn AA reloads

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Yes.. Many years ago.. a shooter of a Remington 742 had a blown up gun.. It was sent to Remington.. They replaced it with a new 7400.. No letter.. no I'm sorry.. No offer to give the shooter some compensation for ER treatment.. twenty some od stickes he received.. The best we could figure.. the firing pin broke and the gun fired before the rotary lugs were locked..
    This was a major reason for the 740/742 being dropped from the lineup.. in leu of the 7400..

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Michael Burns had a Mossberg 800 pump.. that the area right behind the factory choketube cracked..wad got caught and the front of the barrel was mangled.. Made in Mexico.. Mossberg offered him ANY barrel they made as a replacement.. He took a new 30" vent rib barrel.. His first "trap" gun..Shells were Remington "Shur Shot"..but I don't think the shells were an issue.. The choke was miss bored to paper thin..on one side..

16. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

"I know of a Ruger red label that had a solder joint failure at the mono block and it just pushed the barrels forward"

And if they had been fired in the forward poistion, I wonder the results.

17. willing

willing Member

Has anyone heard of one of the guns used in those South American dove hunts blowing up. Thousands of rounds over the course of a few days? Over and over.

Bill

18. TOOLMAKER 251

Willing, a dozen or so years ago 5 shooters (one squad) shot a total of over 25,000 rounds in a 24 hour doubles marathon. Thats about 5,000 each.

19. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Shooting a gun with a broken ejector that is suppose to support the rim of the shell is asking for trouble and has nothing to do with the ammunition. D Winter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

blown up handguns from factory ammo