1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun blow up questions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mike K P, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I am currently shooting an 1100 Tournament trap. I am considering going to a single barrel just because I like being able to look down the barrel after each shot. I have read where autos and pumps are more dangerous because you can't see any obstuction. However every time I hear of a blow up it's usually with a single barrel. Is this because with a pump or auto you have something to give like the bolt or gas ports which would prevent the barrel from blowing up? Seems we would see more autos being destroyed with all of them on the sporting clays circuit.
    These are just thoughts not statements as I enjoy all kinds of guns and am not pro or con on any. Just wondering. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Mike Pracht.

2. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

I talked with the owner of the gun after the incident. They had just moved to station 4 of the clays course. He had been shooting the same shells in the same gun for the first three stations. The ammunition used was not Winchester, but was factory. Right now, everybody knows what happened. Nobody knows why. It seems unusual to get this kind of catastrophic failure from a bore obstruction. The investigation will begin soon. The shooter is as reasonable and sensible with his guns as anyone, so if somebody wants to throw a bunch of BS, throw it into the wind. Carelessness and stupidity are not a part of this incident.
    Dave

3. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

Oops! Thought this was on the thread about the gun blow up at Charlevoix. I would delete it here if I was smart enough.
    DAve

4. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

That's OK Dave I am interested in the incident as well. MIke.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Mike, don't think I'd worry much about shooting your semi-auto. IF. If you know it hasn't been subjected to many of the earth shaking loads some guys use in games shooting. Hard to tell what some guys stuff inside those chambers. Metal is only good for so many bends or excessive expansions/contractions before giving up.

Might be interesting to know whether or not these guns blowing up were owned prior too? Hap

6. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Thanks guys. Mike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.