1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Blow-up, melted lead left behind?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrskeet410, Dec 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

"Gun Blow-up, melted lead left behind?" In another thread about a gun blow-up, I read there was melted lead left behind. From long ago, I remember some talk about that being an important clue to the "experts" that investigate blow-ups. I can't remember why it was important.

Anybody know why?

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My guess would be barrel stoppage would result in the lead transforming under heat and pressure instead of going out the end of the barrel as it should.

White Labs reported "barrel obstruction" as the cause of a K-80 blowup at our club a couple years ago. Maybe that's one way of telling.

HM

3. 3 wood

3 wood TS Member

Sure it can be explained----2 powder charges, no wad, 2 shot charges. The powder ignites and starts to melt the double charge of shot (which is not moving because of excessive weight). Sometimes there is a poor seal resulting in ejecta leaving barrel with excessive recoil and noise. SOMETIMES the shot charge starts to fuse, makes a seal and pressures go through the roof, maybe resulting in a blown receiver.
    Reloader error! 3 wood

4. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Hmm how come 3 1/2 twelve gauges do not blow up too often? What weight of lead do they shoot? About two ounces or more? I think we hear more about the K-80's blowing up becasue they are so expensive and are supposed be much better than a 4 hundred dollar pump or auto. What about back in the day when there were not shot cups and all there was was an over powder wad and and an over shot wad. Way long before a K-80 was someones wet dream. I just have to wonder how many shells might have been reloaded with out the over powder wad. Bill

5. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Hmm how come 3 1/2 twelve gauges do not blow up too often? What weight of lead do they shoot? About two ounces or more? I think we hear more about the K-80's blowing up becasue they are so expensive and are supposed be much better than a 4 hundred dollar pump or auto. What about back in the day when there were not shot cups and all there was was an over powder wad and and an over shot wad. Way long before a K-80 was someones wet dream. I just have to wonder how many shells might have been reloaded with out the over powder wad. Bill

6. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

To have melted lead in the chamber or ahead of it means that the shot was directly exposed to the heat of the powder burning. The shot cup is supposed to stop this. It might be that the shot couldn't get out of the way and was not pushed down the barrel. It might be that the wad didn't stand up to the heat generated when the powder burned. It might be that powder not designed for use in a shotgun was in that shell and it burned so fast and hot causing all the problems. Incorrect powder is responsible for some guns that I've seen blown up.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

3.5 shells are all factory loads- thats how come they dont blow up

8. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

In my mind, there is no merit to the double powder, double shot, no wad argument what so ever. In order for something like a gun to blow up, you need severely elevated pressure.

I don't see how these pressures can be reached without a wad. Or, without a barrel obstruction. Just my .02.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.