1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Barrel Harmonics

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Patriot, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patriot

Patriot TS Member

I have a Lujtic Stainless Mono gun. I understand that there was a thread some time back about harmonics that could be felt in the stock. I have this problem with my Lujtic. At first I thought it was the custom stock that I had specially made, with thought towards the density / type of wood. But, I'm hearing that it could be barrel harmonics or a rib harmonic problem, etc. The problem increases with the Nitro's, etc - 1200fps aren't too bad, but the problem is still present. You will ask, is the problem still there with the old stock - hard to tell as it had an older soft touch recoil reducer while the new stock doesn't have this device. I've shot the newer Lujtic units with adjstable ribs and didn't experience this problem. So, if an old thread exists on this subject / Lujtic gun, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

If you look in the forend of a late model Seitz.. you'll see a small neopreme button that touches the barrel.. End of harmonic problem..

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Patriot, though you can't have realized it, you haven't told us what the problem is.

Neil

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Neil.. this is in the ranks of being able to feel the difference the between Red Dot and Green Dot..or Unique.. Some are sensitive to it.. and some are not.. Not only the Ljutic.. but many guns have a twing when you shoot them..you "hear" in the stock.. I'm assuming this is what he's talking about.. The cure for it is either a rubber plug in the forend.. or a rubberband around the barrel.. Both have effectively killed the twing.. I'd call it harmonics for lack of any other word.. Whatever it is.. a rubberband cures it.. I've had it in a few guns.. yet hand it to a friend.. and they see and feel nothing.. Maybe I'm crazy.. I'm glad to know there are others out there like me...I'm not alone.. All Good.. Mike

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Neil.. just a thought.. Ever shot a Soft Touch that you could hear the ping of the spring around the cylinder??? Now.. divide that by 10..and a few barrels do that.. Not loud.. not strong..just a real faint.. ping.. I can't see anymore.. but I can still hear a fly fart at 60 paces..

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

MX3 give off a "twing". Disconcerting at first, but you learn to like it

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Patriot - Do you hear / feel this "sound" over the sound of the gun shooting or does it last for a short time after the gun has fired?

Few of us have problems with our hearing being too sensitive to sounds.

Pat Ireland

8. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

There's a mfr out there who has studied this. Barrel length is his solution, if it's barrel harmonics you're talking about. 33 inches to be exact.

Can you describe the problem in more detail?

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Putting a rubber insert in the forend will help the felt vibration but will not stop it. It does not matter how long the barrel is your going to still have harmonics. I have a Hoehn tuner on the end of my anschutz rifle which will in/decrease the length of the barrel in .001 increments so that when the bullet leaves the barrel it will hit the same part of the vibration node each time. If you have vibration in your forend, drill a 3/8 hole in the barrel channel of the forend about 1/4 inch deep and find yourself an older Kickeeze recoil pad screw hole rubber plug. Cut the plug so that it is 1/16" sticking above the barrel channel and glue it in. If I remember the Remington 90T had this in the forend.

10. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

When I've had the opportunity to shoot KX-5's on various occasions there was "something" I just couldn't put my finger on ....now it's clear.

Thanks for bring this up, Patriot. all the best.....mike

11. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I recall that back in the 70's the late Jack Sehasse a retired NASA engineer used to offer barrel tuning to eliminate "harmonic vibrations" to improve your patterns. Not sure what voo-doo magic he performed on the barrels but it sure worked for me back then.

Eric

12. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

The neoprene in a Seitz forend is there to keep the forend tight when the barrel heats up. Without it the forend gets wobbly.

13. otnot

otnot Active Member

I had a TMX that gave a Twing with every shot. Drove me nuts until I had a Rad recoil reducer put on it.

14. Shotgun Specialties

Shotgun Specialties Active Member

Patriot, I've had this before and what you are feeling is that the barrel is actually popping open when fired and relocking instantly. Normally it can be fixed by replacing the weak inertia lock spring. If you want to prove my point, ask to borrow someone elses spring at the gun club to try. This is the spring on the front of the trigger guard assy, they are the same for all Ljutics made. Hope this helps, Doug @ SGS

15. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

If I break the target I don't care what sound I hear as long as it is not LOST

16. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

I borrowed a friends Ljutic to shoot a round with and one the first shot knew something was wrong. Vibration and twanging noise. Got off the line and checked it and the locking lug was worn allowing the barrel to be loose. The owner said he had not noticed anything different about it. LOL

No one has mentioned a loose rib. I think this might cause some noise and vibration too.

17. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Ljutic Mono ribs are free floating on a dovetail.

18. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Remember the Harmonicats?

19. mono1393

mono1393 Member

I have a new Mathews Reezen 6.5 compound bow. One way they dampen the harmonic vibration is using a special rubber "harmonic stabilizer" in strategic locations on the riser of the bow. They had to come out with a "weighted" stabilizer for the new bow mentioned above because the arrow reaches speeds of 340 ft/sec.

Probably the same as barrel harmonics. Use some type of rubber sorbothane like mentioned above to stop the vibration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

barrel harmonics touch shot inches

hard to open lujtic

shooting harmonics