1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Balance?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RiverSide, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiverSide

RiverSide Member

How important is it to have equal balance on both sides of the gun's hinge point?

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

To be honest, this is like asking 7 1/2's or 8's.

I feel that it very important for my shooting style. Others say it makes no difference at all.

I prefer light weight guns that are balanced near or right at the hinge point with the barrels locked into battery.

ss

3. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

It can be a personal preference, but I for one think a well balanced gun makes it less tiresome to mount and swing.

4. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

I have never understood this whole balance at the hinge pins thing...the only thing that tells me is if you are walking around with it broke open it should balance nice in your carry hand....something to consider when looking for a walk around bird gun.

But you can't shoot as it balances on it's hinge pins! When shooting it's held at 4 points...your two hands, shoulder, and cheek....you don't balance it, you hold it, grip it, or mount it. I pay no attention to balance points with a target gun. I want to mount it and feel it...is it muzzle heavy, muzzle light, feel good, or swing like a 4x4 post. The balance I care about is how it feel when I shoot it.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<I>"How important is it to have equal balance on both sides of the gun's hinge point?"</I>

To me it's not important at all; a gun that balances that far back feels too butt heavy to me. I prefer mine to balance where I hold the fore stock.

MK

6. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

It seems to me that a gun that is a little heavy in the butt, causes the barrell to feel a little whippy. When adding weight to the stock, ie a dead mule etc. I find it a good thing to also add a barrel weight and adjust it until i find a place that the swing feels just right for me.

Bob

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Balance at the hinge pin is EXTREMELY important when strutting down the trap line with your pride and joy draped over your shoulder.

Guy Babin

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is critical for the balance point to be somewhere between your left and right hands when the gun is mounted. I don't think a shotgun could be made that does not have such a balance point. The way a gun feels to the shooter when mounted is a very personal thing.

My gun is balanced so that when it is open, I can put it on my shoulder and free both hands to put shells in my pouch, carry score sheets and light cigarettes. That balance allows me to walk to the next field, carry a soft drink in one hand and smoke a cigarette at the same time. Not all shooters consider that important, but I do.

Pat Ireland

9. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

It's amazing how all guns are balanced differently or have no balance at all. I think all shotguns should have their weight evenly distributed. I never knew about balance until I went from a Citori to a K-80. The Citori was very barrel heavy. The K-80 just felt heavy. Dave T.

10. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Exactly Pat. Now do you prefer the barrel forward technique, or the stock forward method?

Personally, I use the stock forward configuration as my 3200 seems to perch in this orientation with more gription. I agree, there's almost nothing better than a fresh Marlboro Light and a cool beverage while leaving the trap line after a relatively competent performance.

My technique is tainted by the fact that a 32" barrel extending behind me has a high probability of coming into unintended contact with objects and humans. I tell myself to be careful. I also remind myself that I have been beaned upside the head with the stocks of the barrel forward types, so who's to say my technique is fraught with peril? Ever get a PFS to the kisser???

Guy Babin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.