1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gun balance

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KENENT1, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I was wanting to add some weight to by Beretta unsingle to better handle handicap loads, the gun weighs 8.5 lbs, to start, I have some small tungsten bar ends that I put in the butt stock that added 2.1 lbs, bringing the total weight to 10.6 lbs.(for those that can't add...lol, just kidding).

handling the gun it feels way too heave in the rear, but when I mount it it doesn't feel that bad, the weight is on my shoulder, and it swings fairly well.

my question is, how does everyone feel about the balance of their gun??

what about adding weight??

tony

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Style and speed dictates balance. Trial and error is the best way to find what works best for yourself.
    Joe

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Tony, I added 28 ounces to my factory B 303 stock and shot good scores with it. Newly fitted stock has about 22 ounces in it and I'm shooting it real well, even better than before. If the hole was bigger, I'd cram in some more too. Balance on a pre-mounted gun? Why you ask, you've already seen why for yourself I'd think. Now my hunting gun, that's a different matter altogether, I want it as balanced as possible not only for carrying but throwing it to my shoulder at the flush! If I was hoss enough, I'd shoot a 20 pound trapgun.

Hap

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

If you'd like to add some weight to the barrels to bring the balance a little further forward again, check out my website.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Kenent1, for games that allow a premounted gun, like ATA trap, adding weight to the stock is the smart thing to do if you are trying to tame recoil. The closer you get the weight to your shoulder, the less effect on swing there is. If you add weight to the barrels to bring the gun back into balance at the hinge pins, you will definitely slow down the gun.

6. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

thanks for the input. I'm going to shoot a couple of hundred rounds this week end to see how it actually handles.

tony

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

goose2, I haven't found that statement to be true on most of my guns where I've added a lot of weight in the stock! Incorrect pitch causes muzzle rise, not the added weight. Hap

8. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I agree with Hap. I've added weight to the buttstock of numerous different guns and never found any increase in cheek slap. In fact, if it has any effect at all, it decreases it, but only slightly. Cheek slap is a gun fit issue.

Easystreet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.