1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Gun balance ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Well I think I figured out my doubles gun problem. I can shoot & hit targets with my doubles gun on straight shots perfectly. On rights and lefts I'm swing past the targets. My doubles gun is one lb lighter than my singles & caps gun. Where should I add weight. The gun is a 682 with 30" barrels.

Thanx==Phil Berkowitz
  2. hmb

hmb Active Member

Put weight in front and gun will swing slower, put weight in rear and it will swing faster. HMB
  3. Johnny

Johnny Active Member

Putting weight in the front will change the swing but putting weight in the rear will only change the weight of the gun. Balance means nothing in a trap gun. Once the gun is brought to the shoulder, one cannot tell anything about balance, only whether the front end is too heavy or too light.
  4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

...in the sun & breeze of Copper Bank, Belize
    <blockquote><I>"On rights and lefts I'm swing past the targets. My doubles gun is one lb lighter than my singles & caps gun. Where should I add weight."</I></blockquote>You don't need more weight; you need to develop gun control. If you're swinging past the target, you're not looking at where you want to fire the shot. I don't know where your eyes are focused (if they're focused at all) but they're not focused on the leading edge of the target.

Keller
  5. Ruck

Ruck Active Member

Johnny is 100 percent right!

Ken Rucker
  6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Active Member

Xs two for Johnny!!

Hap
  7. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Active Member

Although I don't disagree I prefer what I would call a balanced gun. I like a gun to come up level with the ground. Seems to mount much more naturally and consistantly. I have added shot mixed with epoxy to an extra hole drilled into the stock under the pad if the gun seems "butt light". Marc
  8. mike campbell

mike campbell Member

If you want less barrel speed, try holding further out on the forend, and/or experiment with a few ounces added to the barrels a few inches ahead of the forearm. You can also experiment with the exact distance; further out will slow it more.

I have 2 singles guns (different makes) that are identical in length, weight and balance (both would be considered muzzle light). Nevertheless, I felt the backup gun was just a little too quick. I bought a Meadow Industries weight (3 ounce?) and taped it 3-4" ahead of the forearm. That made the difference and my scores reflect that I shoot the 2 as identically as I could hope for.

My doubles gun was my sporting clays gun @ 8lb. I wanted to increase the weight for reduced recoil but not change the swing. I added a pound to the butt and, as others noted, though the weight and balance changed the mounted swing effort did not.
  9. hmb

hmb Active Member

Objects at rest tend to stay at rest and objects in motion tend to stay in motion. I do believe the weight of the object is part of the equation when it comes to moving the gun and keeping it moving through the execution of the shot. HMB
  10. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Member

It is not about balance (per Jonny)----Moment of inertia is what effects swing speed or lack of..SMOKIT
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.