1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun auction website being sued......

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by likes-to-shoot, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I guess we could have expected this kind of crap.....

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I don't see how this can hold up. I amd not familiar with armslist, but if they are like most other gun auction web sites, they don't have anything to do with the sale. That's between the buyer and the seller. They just facilitate the auction.

If any laws were broken during the sale, like shipping a gun directly to an individual instead of an FFL, its the buyer and the seller who are at fault.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Uhhhhhhh....well geez if the gun was bought from a newspaper ad can we sue the paper?

FWIW armslist is not an auction site it is a classified listing site.

Freakin preposterous. Typical lawyer move, sue everyone in sight and hope for one to cave so you make a big fat fee.

HM

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

These people will sue like this even if they know they can't win.

Defending themselves will usually bankrupt the defendant putting them out of business which achieves their goal. Or instead of going through the hassle of a lawsuit the defendant will close their doors and again achieving the goal they set out for.

5. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The story doesn't tell whether the seller in the maybe illegal sale is being prosecuted or sued.

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If it was not booked into a FFL, they likely have a case that will go forward.

7. shoobedoo

shoobedoo Member

Armslist is probably established well enough to have the resources to defend the suit, and I expect they will. The Brady group, which is famous for this kind of suit, will have to show that Armslist had knowledge that the buyer and/or seller were engaged in unlawful activity, a very high bar indeed, as Armslist does not buy or sell anything, they simply provide a place that connects buyers and sellers for a fee like Craigslist does. If the Brady group loses the case they could end up footing the legal bills for Armslist, and even punitive damages if Armslist and it's lawyers can show that Brady was attempting to force them out of business through defending costly litigation, so this is not by any means without considerable risk to Brady if they don't have a slam dunk legal case against Armslist.

8. vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay Member

Why can't Armslist counter sue with a lawsuit to recover any expenses encured if Armslist wins? I would bet this would stop most of these jackwagon lawsuits.

9. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I use Armslist all the time - just somwhere to place an ad - no cost involved at all. They put up the listing and route emails - that's the extent of their involvement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.