1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gun & ammo companies sponsorship of top shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 20, 2013.

1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    In this day and age with the high cost of competitive shooting, how prevalent are gun and ammo companies in sponsoring top shooters?

Years ago, Vic Reinder's once told me that even though he shot a Remington in competition, and used Remington shells, Remington never gave him a gun or ammo to shoot.

Vic did mention that at one time Remington did offer to hire him as a Remington rep years ago, and his duties would have been to travel across the country promoting Remington's product line, along with shooting at gun clubs and cashiering their shoots.

Vic turned their offer of employment down as he would rather continue his teaching as a chemistry college professor.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

2. twotimer

twotimer Member

Steve, when I first started shooting a few years ago, I wasn't very good and I had one ammo company pay me NOT to shoot their product. Does that count? Mike

3. senior smoke

Mike:
    LOL.
    Steve

Bob Uecker once said that when he played big league baseball, Rawlings asked him not use their gloves.

4. senior smoke

Is there some type of secrecy involved with who gets freebies from the gun and ammo companies? If there is, why?

Every sport usually has the best participants getting promotional items from clothing to equipment. I think there is nothing wrong with that as these same individuals have to perform at a very high level of competition or the benefits from being one of the best will stop real fast.
    Steve

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Perazzi offered me my choice of guns if I would send the ones I have back to them ... I asked if they wanted the hats, shirts, and other sruff also ... They said no that I could keep all of that ... Good thing for them, I knew (thought ) they were joking, but I do have a price if they are serious ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

The sad part is ,they are so called AMATEURS and we have to shoot against them?

Clyde

7. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

OMG...

Really now, they did away with Industrial and professional shooter catagories several years ago...This is the Amateur Trapshooting Association so I have to believe No-one is allowed any sort of freebies from companies any more.

Truely, non of these fine folks would ever think of accepting any freebies. They want to preserve the Amateur status of the organization...I am sure that the EC would step in and say something to people if they suspected this was going on.

Only my (humorous) 2 cents

8. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Years ago top lady shooter Susan Nattrass did an article for Trap & Field in which she noted that some of the top shooters were getting freebies from the gun and ammo manufacturers.

She offered to name names but I don't recall if she ever did.

Some things never change.

Regards.....Gerald

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I had a friend that was very good in the 1980's, and I know for a fact one year Remington shipped him a pallet of shells. This was in the days of 500 rounds to a case. I don't know how may shells were on the pallet, but he sold me 5 cases of them---cheap.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Well then, rename it the Professional Trapshooting Association. We'll all be considered professionals and you can get the same benefits the great shooters do.

All you have to do is be the best, beat the best.

I thought this was drivel when I heard about the Communist "professionals" against our pure, Amateur Olympians..

You know, The AMTU guys, The Marine Corp guys, The Navy Guys...

The ones who got paid to shoot, shoot, and shoot some more.

When you can't compete with their shooting ability, you find excuses as to why their waaaaay better.

It ain't the money their making pulling the trigger....