1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gun adjustment

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by singles, Oct 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. singles

singles Member

I moved my 14 year old son into a Browning Cynergy Trap, got it shooting where it needs to shoot on the patterning board but it is beating him up on his cheek. After one round he was bruised. Anyone know where to start on fixing this? I can adjust the comb and LOP.
    Thanks in advance.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The most common fix is to change the pitch of the gun. Place one or two washers between the butt pad and stock, on the top butt pad screw. This will increase the negative pitch of the gun and usually solves the problem. HMB

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I would suspect a pitch issue first. Do a little experiment by bringing out the heal (top) of the pad about 3/8" by placeing a temperary shim between the pad and the butt of the stock (washers, quarters, etc..). This will increase the pitch. Now have him shoot a round and see how it is. If it's better, then you know what needs to be done. It is also possible that you need to decrease pitch (not as likely), so you would shim out the toe (bottom).

Jb

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You can also check the comb, having it a little lower in the front so it is angled down can help. When the gun recoils back it will be less likely to bruise his cheek. HMB

5. singles

singles Member

thanks for the help. We will make some changes and see what happens.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Keep us posted on the reults. HMB

7. singles

singles Member

next Tuesday he shoots again

8. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

If you are not using 1 oz. shells,I would consider this also.
    Clyde

9. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Once the cheek is bruised it may take a week or more for that area to settle down again. Be aware not to re-damage the area.

As the posters above said, pitch change could help, but that may not be the only issue here. If he did not hold his cheek/bone/flesh firm against the stock, he may have experienced a 'slap' which really has no relation to the effects of the recoil of the gun.

Also, he may have front loaded his cheek. If a shooter turns his head in or in and down, the point of his cheek takes recoil and can be damaged or bruised. That is a particularly sensitive area.

Ideally,the face & cheek is along side the stock, just about in parallel, with the cheek distributed along the stock back toward the ear.

It would be good to get a professional gun fitting for your son. Rollin Oswald's book on gun fitting is a help too.

He needs to be 'SEEN' on scene while mounting the gun, by an expert, to get off to the best start! A proper gun fit can result in no effects of felt recoil or bruising at all, and better centered hits.

best wishes!

js in PA

10. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I would think you would need to go with negative pitch, such as shimming out the bottom of the pad.... As I understand it.....

11. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

A number of things can cause cheek slap.

1) Pitch: The pitch is correct when the whole pad makes simultaneous contact with the shoulder as the gun is being mounted and the shooter is in the normal shooting posture.

2) Too much or too little cheek pressure on the comb. (Head-raising during swings almost guarantees cheek slap.)

3) Having to lean the neck forward to put the cheek on the comb can cause cheek slap.

4) Having to turn the head toward the stock when putting the cneek on the comb can also cause cheek slap.

5) Even a loose gun mount can cause cheek slap if the stock has a comb that rises steeply in the front as some field stocks do.

Rollin

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Check the cast. If there is too little cast it results in too much cheek pressure to see the correct sight picture. That results in every shot being a punch to the cheek. A Cynergy probably has no cast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.