1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Guinea Fowl Hunting - South Africa

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Went Guinea Fowl hunting Saturday in Limpopo Province near Pienaarsrivier. The terrain, unlike my last hunt, was vastly different. Nothing like home. We hunted in what is called "the bushveld." Seems like every bush has stickers, every tree has thorns.

But what fun it is to hunt guinea fowl! Kind of like pheasant hunting, but different. Instead of seeing deer, we saw gray duiker and one of the guys saw a kudu, and instead of bobcat, one of the guys saw a caracal, a cat related to the lynx.

On my first flush, probably 10 of these things jumped up about 10 feet in front of me. Got a double, and if I had been hunting with a pump or semi-auto, it would have made for a very makeable triple.

Truckload of Guineas
    timb99_2008_03035.jpg

Bizarre looking critter, aren't they?
    timb99_2008_03036.jpg

Two Swainson's Francolin (check out the spurs) and a Guinea
    timb99_2008_03037.jpg

GSP we hunted with. Makes me miss my GSP back home.
    timb99_2008_03038.jpg

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

With the looks of those birds. You are definately not in Kansas anymore. LOL Looks like you had a fun and sucessful hunt. Take care.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Those birds have families, you should be ashamed of yourself for killing those poor birds. HMB

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I agree. Shame on you. Whens dinner? LOL

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

They do look quite a bit like domestic guineas

6. ctreay

ctreay Member

We had white Guineas on the farm for several years. They were death on rats,mice and snakes. They didn't care much for the neighbors dog either but they were raised around our German Shepard so they didn't bother it. They can make an awful racket when they start sounding off.

ctreay

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

We have 3 that hang in my yard every day, they take care of all the ticks. Like someone mentioned they make a un-godly racket and are too dumb to get out of the path of a car coming down the road.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

They run faster than pheasants. If they're not dead when they hit the ground...good luck.

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

We had them on our farm when I was a kid. They would roost in a Walnut tree just outside my parents bedroom door at porch level. That was also the east side of the house. LOL When the sun came up thay all sounded off. My mother wanted to kill them all for waking her up at the crack of dawn. HE HE HE.

10. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I've always wondered if those wierd little birds are any good to eat. Tastes like chicken? Bill Wheeler

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

<i>Tastes like chicken?</i>

Don't know yet, but I plan to find out.

12. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

A fine young fellow from Lincoln, NE just returned from a couple weeks in Africa:
    He told me that toward the end of his stay, he was given a shotgun for bird hunting for two days, and the Guinea fowl are great to hunt and shoot. He told me he brought two potato sacks of them back to camp for eating.
    He's a darn good shot to begin with, and tells a story well.
    He said "Hunting Sand Grouse is something else." Then, we were interrupted, so I will have to hear "the rest of the story" some other time.

Thanks for the pictures for us old ones who will never get there, but still dream dreams.

Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

13. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Many years ago there were several Guinea hens that would travel through my aunt and uncles property around 5PM every day. I shot one to see how good they taste, I wasted a good 12 ga. shell.

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Looks like you are having quite an adventure Tim. Now you must tell the the details - gun, shells, etc. Pretty good bag there, how many hunters?

I still think the rooster pheasant is better looking but hey when in Rome ...

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Greg,

I was using my trap gun, which I successfully imported over here under a temporary import permit that I have to renew every 6 months. Using the double barrel set, of course, with IC and Mod choke tubes. It is a bit of an inconvenience carrying a near 10 lb, 32" barreled gun out in the field, with an adjustable recoil pad that "catches" on stuff.

I was using RC 32 "Caccia" brand shells, 1-1/8 ounces of shot (32 grams.) Number 5 shot. Not sure what the muzzle velocity is on these shells, but they feel pretty stout.

There were 12 of us, and 5 dogs (two English Springer Spaniels and three German Shorthairs.) One of the GSP's was unique in that it was 100% liver colored. No white, no mottling.

The limit is 5 Guineas and 10 Francolin. I bagged 4 Guineas and 1 Francolin in about 2-1/2 hours of hunting. It was cool in the morning, about 32°F when we started, but quickly warmed up into the 70's by about 10:30 or 11:00. We stopped to have lunch, and it warmed up nearly to 80°F so a couple of us, myself included, decided that was too warm to hunt.

The season ends at the end of September, so I hope to make it up to the farm for another go at them.

Definitely, the ringneck is a more stunning bird. But like you say, when in Rome.

Got a chuckle when I showed my Pheasants Forever t-shirt to the guys. One of them piped up and said, "oh, yeah, the English pheasant!"

I regretfully in formed him that although, yes, they do hunt ringneck pheasants in England, they are indeed an import from China and other parts of Asia.

16. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

That brings back great memories of Bowhunting in Namiba. We hunted over water holes and the Guineas were the first ones to the water every morning. John 8703697

17. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

Our neighbors had a few guinea fowl and they would make an earsplitting rukus each morning. The whole neighborhood was sick of them and then one day they all mysteriously disappeared. No, I had nothing to do with it with was sure glad to get rid of them.

18. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

(If they are cooked right they are pretty good, when I was a kid we had a neighbor that we worked for and his wife fed us guineas and they tasted pretty good

19. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

Par fried then baked with biscuts and gravey made from the skillet. OH how I miss that kind of good eaten. Our birds were feed plenty of grain snakes and grass hoppers but they were good.

20. leadvail

leadvail Member

Timb99, I saw it snowed in south africa the other day. Did you get into that? I guess that doesn't happen often.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
guinea fowl hunting
guinea fowl hunting and trap

guinea fowl hunting with spaniels

guniea fowl traps africa
how to make a pheasant catcher for a guinea fowl
hunting guinea hens
shoot guinea fowl