1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

guess who's coming to dinner?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slayer, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

guess who

Just got a call from my 80 yr old mom. She is in a state of distress. My 20-something year old step-niece, who is a sweetheart, is bringing her new boyfriend to christmas dinner. You guessed it, he is of a different ethnicity than my family. Poor mom, this is a disaster to her. To me her concern is comical,but I have to respect mom. I guess this is just a comment on how things have changed so much since her day. When she was a girl you didn't date out of your religion much less your race. Oh well, should be an interesting day! Merry Christmas from good old Michigan. Bill

2. pca7ggr

pca7ggr Member

It could be worse. My mother-in-law and brother-in-law didn't show up to our holiday dinner because my gay nephew was bringing his boyfriend.

But then my Japanese mother-in-law wasn't too happy 37 years ago when her oldest daughter married a Mexican (me).

"Oh the times they are a changing" - for at least some of us.

Happy Holidays

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Many religions prohibit miscegenation.

Many people do not follow their religion, Catholics using birth control, Protestants not baptizing their kids, etc.

I was hoping for the return on 12/21 but I guess we have to wait a while.

My father in law had it right:

"You live your life, and THEN you find out if you did it wrong"

Merry Christmas to all

HM

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Well if she wouldnt have had cataract surgery- she might not have been able to tell the difference

Always two sides of a coin

Hope it works out-

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Just remind her that good people come in all shapes sizes colors religions etc......Judge the individual on their merits..never prejudge for any reason..he could be the most awesome guy out there and she'll come to know what she sees in him...or in my case be able to warn her off ; )

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Step niece would be requested not to attend in my family. Why create friction and unhappiness during a festive occasion. If she would like introduce him, maybe it should be done on a more one to one basis.

7. CalvinMD

Shouldn't be a big deal unless he wants to sacrifice a goat or something in the living room ; )

8. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

My cousin did that one time for Christmas dinner, and when they walked in the house, you could hear a pin drop. Her Dad was shocked. Alot of booze got put away that day. My Dad has never forgot it. It was 1975 if I remember. She ended up marrying her own kind though.

9. neofight

neofight TS Member

Oh, now were going to pick on those who sacrifice a goat now and then.It's not like we do it every day . Sometimes it's in response to a situation where we may be judged by a large number of non-sacrificers and we get all nervous and everything, especially during Kwanza and we just can't control it.

It's not easy finding a goat when we need one and that adds to the stress and the cycle continues......

Merry Christmas....John of the North(Southern Oregon, actually)

10. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I had a boss that held an annual goat roast in the summer. I have no clue where he got the goat meat. Or why it had to be goat. I'm glad I'm retired now. Bill

11. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

You must love your mom a lot?

12. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Nice cast Tracy, but I'm not rising to that one. Everyone have a great holiday! Bill

13. primed

primed Well-Known Member

You're lucky she's not bringing Eugene!!!!!

Bob

14. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Here's an update: The young man in question was nicely dressed and quietly respectful to my mother and everyone else in the room. I thought my mom was going to drop her teeth in her plate when there was talk of "children". Oh well, ain't life grand? Bill

15. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Sounds like "Meet the Fokkers".......

16. JT 27

JT 27 Member

My ex-wife will not allow our daughter to bring one of her girl friends to any family function. My 89 yr old uncle claims his gay son lost his only true love in an auto accident while in college, hence he has never found a woman to replace her. My mother was a juvinal case worker in Indiana. She loved to relate a story of an early Juvinal Court Judge. When mother took a pregenant white girl to court with a black father, the judge would ask the boy to marry the girl. The boys would always say no, the judge would then tell the girl, "see, black boys just want your body, they will not marry you" Yes, times are changing.

17. CalvinMD

Sounds like a nice young man...it least hes not related to 548

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

We had a pretty good Christmas dinner. Melvin, my second cousin was there, along with his ex-crankster wife who we call "Scrambled Eggs." He is very good and helping her get fork to mouth. Crystal, my first cousin was there along with "Mouldy", her Harley Davidson mechanic. And Calvina, my lesbian cousin was there with a guy and a girl; the guy claimed to be a warlock and the girl, I didn't get her name, claims to be a Druid witch. A couple of the characters gave me the evil eye. Calvina is considering "hitting from both sides of the plate", as she puts it, in 2013. Overall, everybody was civil and warm; however some of the folks smelled just plain bad.

However, my cousin Pattie invited a friend of her family's to Christmas dinner. When that person walked in, it did put a discernable damper upon the festivities:

Nice enough person, but he let it slip that he was an attorney. This also explained that, to make him comfortable, halibut was also served along with turkey and ham.

19. FIB

FIB Member

Funny thread. This year we hosted one side of the family for Christmas Eve supper. My Wife was called by her step sister to see if it was ok if her step daughter brought her BF. My 19 YO son said "just a word of warning, I've been on her FB page and she's dating a black guy." I'm from the South originally and grew up in a VERY prejudice home but try to give everyone a shot. The guy was black but was educated and very pleasant so it became a non issue to all of us <60 YO. The older folks still had an issue w/it.

20. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Actually, I forgot to ask my cousin Pattie if she knew Gene. However, her friend the lawyer, made rapid friends with "Mouldy", the mechanic. Seems "Mouldy" has a few beefs with his local constable; the constable called him out 'cause he had a truckload of sudafed delivered to his home. The constable calls that "probable cause"..."Mouldy" says the legal, over the counter drug, makes a great burnishing compound for chrome and for lapping in delicate Harley valves. The lawyer, Pattie's friend, might take the case. He also gave "Mouldy" a more expensive drug as a goodwill Christmas gift, some kind of "snow" of some sort..replete with a chrome, but rather dull double edged razor blade embossed with his website and e mail address.

In all, it was a very pleasant evening outside of a lingering funky odor in the home this am.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.