1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Guess we are not concerned about russia......

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigdogtx, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

just a little scary.......

2. schwabby

schwabby Member

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

They were probably just bringing in supplies for the storm damage refurb. Either that or it's part of a new "flexibility" doctrine.

Bob Falfa

4. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Gee whiz. Just what we need more totally useless "reporting" being used to disguise political pot stirring for the alarmist wackos!

This same thing has been going on for at least half a century. I am surprised that they did not also (headline) report on "Russian Bombers spotted off the coast of the U.S." That has been going on since 1960.

Back in 1967, when I was stationed at a USAF radar site in Iceland, every Thursday morning around 0230 one or sometimes two Russian Bear bombers would be tracked coming out of northern Russia, past Iceland, alongside Greenland, off the Canadian Coast and along the U.S. Eastern coast right into Havana. The return flight passed us around 1730 on Sunday. This schedule was held much more closely than United, Delta or US Air does now a days!

In fact, thirty years after I left Iceland there was a headline in our local paper "Russian Bombers spotted off the US coast". One of the students at the university was so concerned, I told her, without even seeing the article, that my guess was that it was spotted on a Thursday off the coast of Maine around 8:30 AM Eastern time or 9:30 - 10:00 off the New Jersey coast. She was very surprised that my times were right on the money. I then told her that it was nice to see that the Russian Air Force still maintained the same schedule and details as before when they were the USSR Air Force. You may note that this was across many different Presidents of either party.

Heck one time, while we were holding a USAF Radar Sites Iceland reunion in Dayton, Ohio even the Russians saluted us by flying this exact same mission and flight path during our reunion! That was in 2002.

You may also have noted that very recently a U.S. navy ship was docked at Murmansk ( a LARGE Russian military activity area) and later the commander and a couple of other officers were relieved of command because of drunken misbehavior. I wonder if the Russian press treated this the same way as the way this Russian ship docked to avoid Sandy coverage was presented?

All told, the Russian sub story is about as useless as it could possibly be.

5. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I worked on ships which were the test platforms for ocean acoustic sensors. This was over 30 years ago, but I can tell you that with the results of the tests we ran, acoustic equipment was designed and deployed which can track and pinpoint marine traffic, both surface and subsurface. This stuff is so sensitive and effective, I was told by people who were involved after I left the program, that it can not only track the traffic with great accuracy, but also, after developing an acoustic signature, can identify the individual vessels, and in some cases, identify the crews involved, due to different ways of setting machinery operations aboard.

I knew the plans for implimentation for the North Pacific involved multiple arrays, but not the siting, but have since heard of the successes in tracking subsurface traffic, with unbelievable accuracy.

With all this in mind, I find it very hard to believe that this Russian submarine off the East coast is a new development, nor do I believe that it is a one way development. I am quite sure that US subs are doing the same things off European coasts, indeed off coastlines worldwide. The main use for submarine traffic is intelligence gathering; developing intelligence on coastal defences, developing acoustic signatures of potential enemy vessels - both surface and subsurface, defining tactics and capabilities of potential enemy vessels and equipment, and then developing tactics to overcome the defences and capabilities so discovered. It is all part of national defence planning, which has been going on forever. Some is overt, and some is covert. It isn't worth getting worked up over, because it isn't about to stop, on either side. All you can do is hope nobody gets too worked up on either side, and pushes the big red button.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.