1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Guatemala

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by avery53, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avery53

avery53 Member

Has anyone have any experience traveling to Guatemala?
    My daughter and family are going there, through their church.
    I told her she is nuts, but they are going anyway.

Is it safe these days?

Thanks for any input

avery

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If nothing else it will make them appreciate the quality of life we have in the US.

I wouldn't reccomend it as a nice place to visit, probably safer than Honduras but kidnapping is still fairly common. I would never take my kid there.

3. Rem-Guy

Rem-Guy TS Member

My sister lives there and works at the Embassy. It is safe in most areas. Do you know where they will be going? They live in Guatemala City, the city is split up in zones and there are some zones to avoid. I went there last year about this time. The best advice... start taking pro-biotics now!
    Justen S.

4. avery53

avery53 Member

Not sure of the area, but I will find out.

Thanks

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Totally depends on the specific area

Regards from Iowa

Gene

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

If the crazies don't get them Dengue fever will.

7. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

Please encourage her to look through this site, especially the docs in the Blog (on the Homepage) regarding preparation and packing.
    Do let us know where she is going, being aware that there are LOTS of towns with the same name, so add the state (Departamento) also.
    Above about 5000 feet there will be very little risk of malaria or dengue. She should be up to date on tetenus, Hepatitis A and be prepared to return with Giardia - not fun but treatable with metronidazole.
    Guatemala City is VERY dangerous. Small towns far away are relatively safe, especially if not on the Pan American Highway.

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Tell her to click on this link. May God Bless them all.

Bob Falfa

9. Drew Hause

Another suggestion: Her U.S. cell phone (unless T-Mobile) is unlikely to work in Guatemala, but cell phones and minutes are VERY cheap and can be purchased about anywhere. Tigo probably has the best coverage. She should go together with other team members and purchase a phone and minutes so they can communicate with the U.S. (especially in case of an emergency or need to change the flight home) and just leave the phone with one of the ministry partners in Guatemala.

May through October is the rainy season so expect storms and mud.

The Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared" applies to mission trips, along with "Be Flexible". The better prepared she is, the better experience she will have.

Most of us, on our first mission trip, think we're going to change the hearts and lives of the folks we go to serve. What happens is that God changes OUR hearts - she should be thinking about that even before leaving.

And she'll fall in love with the kids :)

375981203.jpg

They LOVE anything from the U.S. (see the "You can have my sister" t-shirt). T-shirts, esp. with sports team names, are easy to pack and make great gifts

402263416.jpg

10. Drew Hause

More:
    1. Re: mud season; her family should take old tennis shoes and just leave them.
    2. Despite the rain, when the sun comes out it is intense - don't forget hats and sunscreen.
    3. Guatemalan chiggers are vicious - pump bug spray on shoes and ankles every morning.

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have heard enough to know I like it here better

12. Drew Hause

A well organized mission trip with experienced leaders will do teenage kids a great deal of good; their world view, appreciation for life in the U.S., and view of their stuff, will change markedly if they are adequately discipled during the trip. But they need to be prepared for "reverse culture shock" on returning home, and the fact that their friends will not understand the (hopefully) change in attitude.

I would not, however, take young children.

13. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I've been on medical missions there and the group I go with makes numerous trips each year. There's never been a major problem, although the government does provide soldiers that are with the group all the time. I would think her organization may have something like that arranged too.

Honestly, for me I worry about a traffic accident there more than other issues. Driving on those mountain roads in buses while the smaller cars zip around and in front of you. It's a beautiful place although a lot of areas are filthy with trash.

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I worked in Costa Rica a few times, we brought bags of garage sale tennis shoes and hard candy.

Too see a barefoot kid put on his first pair of Nikes and take of running around with a huge smile is priceless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.