1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grumman Boat - Force Motor

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pedagogue, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pedagogue

pedagogue Member

Bought a used 14' Grumman GSS aluminum boat with a Force 9.9 motor. Would like the origional owner manuals. Can't find exactly what I need on the net. To make this on topic, if someone can tell me how to make a gun mount for a trap gun in the boat that would be fine. jack

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Rugged Gear makes a line of shotgun mounts for golf carts and ATV's. I'm sure one of their mounts could be adapted to your boat. Their website is
    www.ruggedgear.com.

Good shooting.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

4. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

Try and find a chrysler 9.9 manual ,same engine

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If that boat has a Chrysler/Force 9.9 make sure to have strong trolling motor batteries and good oars. I wouldn't venture far from shore or launch. My luck with those engines isn't good.

ss

6. pedagogue

pedagogue Member

Thanks to all. I was aware of the poor reputation the chrystler/force engine had but the "package deal" was good. Does anyone have any opinion on the Grumman aluminum boat, this model is no longer made. jack

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The Grumman boat is as good as it gets! They are a little heavy compared to others but well worth it. Enjoy the boat and keep your eyes peeled for a good Mercury,Johnson,Mariner(same as Yamaha but different paint and stickers)engine.

Give a shout to Tron as he knows lots about outboards and how to make them last.

ss

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Got an 18' Aluminum Grumman Canoe myself. With a side mounted 2.3hp Evinrude 2 stroke she moves pretty good. Its the Cadillac of aluminum canoes in my opinion. Its my strip pit crappie rig. Great for sneaking in places. When i was younger of course. :)

Matt

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Well, not sure what to tell you about your Westinghouse/Chysler/Force motor there Jack. They haven't made them in over 10 years and a lot of the parts are already getting scarce. The lower unit and gears are notoriously under built and if you do happen to find those parts, you're going to be shocked at the prices. On the plus side, their cooling systems were pretty good, but the head gaskets were easy to burn up. These motors were also way over rated and a 9.9 runs more like a Johnson or Mercury 6hp.

If you need any guidance, parts or advice on this or any other outboard, go to the iboats.com forum and you have a great wealth of knowledge there. I post there under "Tronald" from time to time to ask questions about motors that are giving me some trouble.

Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.